Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Here's My Plan:Is it Doable? Minkee/Bargello >

Here's My Plan:Is it Doable? Minkee/Bargello

Here's My Plan:Is it Doable? Minkee/Bargello

Old 05-13-2011, 05:31 PM

Ok, here's the dealio. Id like to make my son a bargello, about full size. I would also like to use a minkee type backing (actually Joanns ultra cuddle fleece) with no batting. I would have to piece the backing, to make it big enough. And how little quilting can i get away with? I know im asking for trouble, lol but is it doable? I will be quilting this on my machine, cant afford to have it sent out. I know he also loves string quilts, so maybe i could do that and QAYG, since I cant QAYG a bargello. Thoughts?
Old 05-13-2011, 06:04 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by dasmith2
maybe i could do that and QAYG, since I cant QAYG a bargello. \
Not true. You most certainly can QAYG a bargello quilt. ;-)

But I wouldn't do QAYG with the Minkie backing on really large pieces. For blocks, however, it should be no problem.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
maybe i could do that and QAYG, since I cant QAYG a bargello. \
Not true. You most certainly can QAYG a bargello quilt. ;-)

But I wouldn't do QAYG with the Minkie backing on large pieces.
Really? Thats awesome. I hate to scrap the idea of the minkee though, just because i know he would love it. hmm, something to think about
Old 05-13-2011, 06:13 PM

so maybe i could do that and QAYG, since I cant QAYG a bargello. Thoughts?
Not true, bargello is in fact particularly well suited to QAYG. I personally didn't try it but I remember my instructor included the directions in our class.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
so maybe i could do that and QAYG, since I cant QAYG a bargello. Thoughts?
Not true, bargello is in fact particularly well suited to QAYG. I personally didn't try it but I remember my instructor included the directions in our class.
I will start googling qayg for bargello thanks
Old 05-14-2011, 04:34 AM

When you piece the fleece or Minkie, orient it the same direction, nap running the same.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:47 AM

when using no batting actually you don't have to quilt it at ALL if you don't choose to however if the top fabric is not preshrunk you will end up with a "baggy bottom" but this will happen with or without quilting! SO make sure everything is shrunk. I have used Joann's Ultra Cuddle on MANY quilts lately and I love it.

I go about it a little bit different though. Here is what I do.
Piece the top, quilt the top to warm and natural batting without a backing (make sure the skrim side is out ;) ), wash/dry (on hot) the top/batting "quilt". THEN baste the back on and machine baste around the edges (on some I have quilted a little bit after I added the backing just to hold it in place but not on all) then cont. on like doing a normal quilt with binding and everything.

Good luck if you need help PM me!
Old 05-14-2011, 04:55 AM

Thanks just wanna quilt, that seems a lot easier,and Im sure I can do that. Plus, with just quilting the top aod batting together, it will be a breeze on my machine compared to having backing on. but i do have one question. Whats the scrim side lol?
Old 05-14-2011, 05:08 AM

The scrim used in W&N batting is pretty much unseen however if you do a quilt like this and quilt with the scrim side IN and then put it in the washer and dryer the batting is going to dissapear. lol However there is an easy way to make sure you have the scrim side OUT. take a corner of the batting piece you will be using and damp your finger (just touch a wet towel or lick your finger lol) then start rubbing and scratching at the batting if it doesn't start to pull away flip it over and to the same thing on the other side in the same spot. The cotton batting will start to pull away on one side or the other leaveing behind the scrim. Scrim will look like a super lightweight interfacing. Here is a picture of scrim on a quilt I quilted "inside out", ya know I'm a know it all and didn't have to test this piece because I knew it was right. LOL!

ETA the side that pulls away is the side that goes next to the quilt. the side that is the "interfacing" looking stuff goes OUT!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196762.jpe  
Old 05-14-2011, 05:17 AM

thanks for the tip! I would hate to do all that work and have it get messed up. off to lick my finger lol