Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: he's gonna think im crazy, but....

Someone told me those portable ac units don't work well. (?) Anyone have one and an opinion?

I have the same problem upstairs in my studio. I was roasting up there. I have track lighting with 6 lights in each one. There are 3 of them. I talked to my husband and he is changing out my light fixtures for the NEW T8 flourescent fixtures and bulbs. He has one fixture changed and it is already helping. Can't wait until he gets the other ones changed. Another thing I noticed was the I can actually see better with these. Hope this helps.
    DonnaR
    Grammy to Isaiah and Ruth

Blog Entries
    You are not crazy. I had to turn on the air today cause I was about to melt trying to quilt under my one little light. Whew! can't even imagine 6 of them.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Blog Entries
    what about the energy saving spiral shaped lightbulbs? the white ones give tons of light and virtually no heat. if that doesn't work, i too would ask for an a/c !
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Window unit by all means...remind him that you would like to keep your "hotness" for him!

Quote Originally Posted by jeanneb52 View Post
    Window unit by all means...remind him that you would like to keep your "hotness" for him!
    sapdoggie

Life is full of many pieces- why not quilt?

The better you feel the better you will do. It's Your space make yourself comfy

Blog Entries
    If you are crazy, then so am I (as you can see by my signature). I also have Central Air, my sewing room is upstairs, and I put a window A/C in there because it's hotter than Hades in the summer. I do close the door so that I'm not killing my little window A/C trying to cool the entire upstairs ( and paying the local power company even MORE exhorbitant rates than they already charge us). You deserve to be comfortable, just sayin'....
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

Blog Entries
    trY A FAN AS i JUST PUT A CEILING FAN IN MINE SINCE THE SUN BEATS IN THAT ROOM IN THE SUMMER AND CANT WORK IN THERE WITH THE HEAT

Blog Entries
    My sewing room is upstairs also and hotter than the rest of the house. It was a costly investment, but I changed out all the light bulbs to the new LED bulbs. They are cooler than the others and has made a difference. Plus, they use less power that the others.

Blog Entries
    Try the "Reveal" light bulbs. They are true light like the Oft lights and show the true color of your fabric. They're a bit more expensive than regular bulbs, but cheaper than the Ott, fit into a normal socket, and are MUCH cooler than halogens.

Me too! My sewing room gets hot, even with the ceiling fan. Go for it!!
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

Get the window unit!!!
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

I have those same bulbs over my kitchen island and roast every time I work there. Of course no one else but me can feel the heat. It is the bulbs, to be sure. Change them before you put in a window unit. We have central air and I know that my husband would not want to put in a window unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Txkolibri View Post
    Full Spectrum Bulbs generate less heat and also provide day light lighting (if you buy the daylight ones).
    This is what I have in my 6 light track light over my cutting table, because my room is also upstairs and gets warm, and I tend to get warm anyway. I also had a ceiling fan put in at the same time, which also has 3 lights in it. At my age, you need all the light you can get!
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...F0E6766589.png

In Christ alone my hope is found, He is my light, my strength, my song.

Blog Entries
    The halogen are very HOT. Either switch to Ott lights or get the a/c cranking!
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    It's so nice to know I have company ... I am, by far, the hottest person in our household. Everyone else is always freezing and I am always roasting. I vote for the air conditioner - I know I would definitely use it - oh wait, I share my sewing room with my husband and his hobby - or is it the other way around? I keep forgetting - lol.

I always tell him he can put on a long-sleeved shirt or a sweatshirt - I am not going to sew naked - that would be such a scary sight - and that would be the next step for me without a window unit.

Blog Entries
    I have a small oscillating fan in my sewing room! works pretty good. No room for window unit.
    I sometimes think the iron being on heats the room up a bunch.
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

Do it. Makes sense.

You can't do what you enjoy so much when you're terribly uncomfortable. Halogen lights generate heat! The new LED lights are really terrific and the price is horrendous but a lot less than a window a/c unit. My sewing room is on the west side of the house and gets warm at mid day. I do have metal awnings which help a great deal and a ceiling fan (we have central air) for times when the air isn't on. I also have a small 6" personal fan that either clips onto a shelf or sits on a small stand and can be run on low. Whatever works whenever. I would seriously consider getting those halogen bulbs out of there.
    Chris
    Third star to the right and straight on til morning.....

Power Poster
    Seems like it would be more economical - in the long run - to cool down a small area (and for you to be comfortable) - than to try to cool down the whole house - when you probably don't need or want to.

Go for it all!!! Get a window unit AND a good OTT lite when you can find a sale. THey are worth EVERY penny.... (I have 3...1 for reading in bed, 1 for sewing in LR while DH watches TV and 1 for sewing room)

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I think a window unit would help. And maybe checking out some cooler light bulbs. Good luck!
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

No you are not crazy. Between the lights and fabric, I always get hot. So go for it.

It's not crazy at all...My dh just put some track lighting over my sewing table and it's hot!!! I told him I needed one of those portable ac units..and he reminded me that the kids always said it was to hot upstairs...which gave me a few minutes of guilt then I got over it and told him that they were younger than me and could stand the heat...lol...we go this weekend to check out portable units!!!!
    Kitty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast