Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: he's gonna think im crazy, but....

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I totally feel for you. I am going through hot flashes and I'm starting "again" on thyroid pills and roast in my very well lite room. I have 8 lights in my sewing room and it gets boiling hot. I have to stop what I'm doing and go to the living room and open the door to cool off. When my husband is gone, I turn on the AC so I can sew. I never thought about buying one for my sewing room. What a great idea!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I have a portable free standing AC unit. Otherwise my room will do 100-120 degrees.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I totally feel for you. I am going through hot flashes and I'm starting "again" on thyroid pills and roast in my very well lite room. I have 9 lights in my sewing room and it gets boiling hot. I have to stop what I'm doing and walk as fast as I can and go to the living room and open the door to cool off. When my husband is gone, I turn on the AC so I can sew. I never thought about buying one for my sewing room. What a great idea!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

FYI there is also a new item out there which is a stand up unit... does not have to be in the window and is just plug in,,, my SIL put something similar in the downstair apt. he built for our GS... it a "picture" framed on the wall that tilts out... the unit is in there and it works fabulously.... not too pricy for what it does...
    "Each day well-lived and Happy
    that's all there is to LIFE!"

Blog Entries
    I turn my ceiling fan on

They are expensive, but you may want to look at getting some LED lights. No heat at all, even in the ones with higher watts.
    SittingPretty

You're not crazy. I have a window unit in my sewing room. It gets the afternoon sun on one wall and another wall has the garage on the other side. If I'm home alone it's costly to cool the entire house for just me. It's energy efficient, saves money so I can buy more fabric.

A much cheaper solution....how about changing the bulbs to LED bulbs...they do NOT get hot---but provide a bright (although cold) light!!! (I just started a job at a lighting store). Try it....much cheaper and easier on everyone all the way around.. Also LED bulbs last FOREVER. They do give off a different hue of light....but select your fabric choices outside or elsewhere and then sew under the LED's...

Blog Entries
    I put one in my room because my hubby and I have very different thermostats (he is wearing sweaters now while I am burning up...summer is not even here yet). In order to save my sanity and his noggin, I put in a window unit. Why didn't I think of that 2 summers ago? Also have my own little auxiliary heater for winters. In winter he wants to lower the thermostat and adds more sweaters. Heaven help me!
    There is magic in a kind word or warm smile.

Blog Entries
    I have window ac for Summer, and a fan heater for Winter - a quilter has to be comfortable!

I use the ceiling fan in my room a lot, just moving the air around helps

Blog Entries
    I changed all the bulbs in my house to fluorescent because of the heat. I do a lot of hand embroidery and sitting under a 100 watt bulb is not comfortable. I just get hot cutting or sewing even if I'm fine before I start.
    TwandasMom

Get a window unit!!!!!!!!!!!1

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I stand under 3 100W bulbs when I cut fabrics on my dining table and roast. I use a fan when it gets hot. I use the old light bulbs and have bought lots of extras.
    I'm so glad to know I'm not the only person "hoarding" lightbulbs. My DH thinks I'm NUTS but I hate the new ones -- the color is weird!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I have the same problem and possibly the same light fixture. The iron doesn't help matters either. I have to keep the door to my small room closed to keep out the cats. Sometimes it is unbearable.
    You could either get a window a-c unit or make quilts for the rest of your family to stay warm with.
    Last edited by Pam H; 04-12-2012 at 08:32 PM.

In the mean time how about wetting a small handtowel and lay it around your neck? With a fan on it will reduce your temp quite a bit. I have always ran warm/hot and when I was working I sat in a cubby hole that had no vents located nearby. So crazy as this is I would put a fan on me and use a frozen icepack either put it behind my back or on my lap. On really hot days I would just drench the back of my shirt. (no one sat behind me)....I was desperate!!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
    I use OTT Lites 100 watt and my lit area does not get hot at all. But, I do understand where you are coming from, before I changed to OTT Lights I too was roasting at my cutting table.
    Love your picture and quilt!
    Love 4 stchen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3