Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexagon quilt help >

Hexagon quilt help

Hexagon quilt help

Old 03-04-2013, 02:47 PM

Default Hexagon quilt help

I am working on a hand-pieced hexagon quilt. It is a grandmother's flower garden design. I have all the horizontal flower rows stitched together. I have finally started sewing the rows together, using white and green hexagons as the path.

So now I am wondering about the papers. DD removed the papers from the flower centers after I sewed them. When should I begin to remove the other papers? Should I starch and iron before I remove them? Or just iron them? This is my first time hand quilting and paper-piecing.

Any tips, advice or ideas are welcomed!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

generally you can remove any papers that will not have any additional pieces attached to them- so, you can remove the papers from each round as a new round is added. i've done lots of these- i've never pressed or starched before removing my papers...maybe some people do, i don't see a reason to though.
here's a little flower garden quilt i made- no pressing or starching involved.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]399786[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails flowergarden.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 03:44 PM

Once you get one hexy surounded by another, you can remove that paper. Only the outside papers need to be kept in place. I like to remove the papers as I go. less bulk to have to work with. I do not press with the papers in. In fact, if I press at all, it's usually just the borders. I press the fabric well before I start stitching to the papers. Don't think they need it again. Thats my thought anyway, and I'm sure there are others that do it differently, but it works for me. Have fun with your hexagon quilt. Would love to see a photo.