Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hexagons

Hexagons

I am cutting out hexagons on my Accuquilt go. Want to make a grandmothers garden quilt. Does the hexagons need to be put together with the straight of grain going top to bottom or does it matter. Have some fabric with a one direction design and would like to put them in going sideways. Would like some help with this . Can not find any instructions that says about direction of fabric

I have been making one for about 9 months, it was passed down from my DH's grandmother. Since there is six sides you cant use straight of grain. I am just placing what looks good and it seams to be working fine, one thing to be careful of is seam the allowance so everything lays flat. Enjoy the process its very relaxing!

Blog Entries
    the grain line is not in issue with hexagon blocks- they are 60 degree angles- so no side is on a true bias (45 degree angle) you can fussy cut them any way you wish
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Thank you sure helps me. Now I do not need to be so fussy

Power Poster
    One can "fussy cut" hexagons if one wants to.

The way you put the fabric through the machine is important, so you minimize distortion.

Accuquilt suggests always cutting grain wise - placing the fabric with selvages lengthwise on the mat. I always thought you could waste fabric that way, but it really does reduce distortion.

If you want a particular part of the design featured then by all means cut it so it shows off to best advantage!