Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexie papers >

Hexie papers

Hexie papers

Old 11-18-2023, 11:05 AM

Default Hexie papers

I am wanting to make hexies, so I ordered some hexie form paper. What I got was a stiff, thin, slippery, shiny,cardboard like papers. It is hard to get the glue to stick to it and the fabric slides around and hard to keep in place. Is this normal for hexie papers? Are there different types of hexie papers that you can buy? I notice that some hexie papers have a hole in the center. Is that useful? I guess that they made these so that the'd be reusable, but these are too difficult to use. What's your favorite place to buy hexie template?
Old 11-18-2023, 11:38 AM

I use the Fiskars large hexagon cutter from the Scrapbook section of J's. I just use leftover cardstock. I think it is 1 inch. There are 3 sizes. The large one accommodates a 2 1/2 inch square easily. I have had the plastic templates with the hole in the center. The hole just makes it easier to pop out the plastic. Never tried to glue the hexie to the template.
Old 11-18-2023, 01:25 PM

I gave mine away but they were plastic templates and iron safe I believe.
Old 11-18-2023, 03:05 PM

I buy all my EPP papers from Paper Pieces. They are very nice and sturdy. I often use them several times. They're a nice card stock weight and they have a large variety of sizes and shapes. https://paperpieces.com/

Some people punch holes in their papers for easier removal. I don't really do that.
Old 11-18-2023, 05:49 PM

I prefer freezer paper shapes. They iron onto the back of the fabric and don't slip. Then they come off easily. I cut my own.
Old 11-18-2023, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

I buy from Paperpieces. I use to punch my own from cardstock but it hurt my hands. I thought why do that why when they are available at a reasonable price. I reuse them several times even when using glue. The hole makes it easier to remove from the fabric.
Old 11-18-2023, 06:23 PM

Like cashs_mom, I get my hexie papers from Paper Pieces. They are a nice weight and can be used several times.
Old 11-19-2023, 04:53 AM

Several years ago when I was really into hexies, I used the Fiskars tool to cut mine. I cut them from postcard weight junk mail.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:31 PM

I use a fiskers hexies punch too. Use manilla folders to make the hexies. I don't use glue. I pin the hexie on ( hexie on wrong side, pin on right). I then sew only the corners flat. After sewn, I iron them. After all six sides are sewn I pop out the card stock. To me glueing would impede with my sewing.
Old 11-20-2023, 06:24 PM

I'm another in the Paperpeices camp, since I tack edges down with thread rather than glue.

But if you're doing the glue method, you might try just printing templates off? There's free ones all over the internet, the only cost being having to cut them out which is easy enough with a rotary cutter.