Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hexie question!

Hexie question!

A fellow quilter friend was gifted a gazillion (more or less) hexi's from an elderly lady and is trying to figure out what to do with them that isn't awfully work intensive. This is an aunt who is anxious to see what she will come up with, so she doesn't feel like donating them is an option. Is there a way to get around sewing them together without "y" seams? I've seen half hexie's sewn in rows and wondered if these whole hexie's can be cut in half and used this way or will not having the seam allowance in the middle prevent this? Hope I made this understandable! Thanks for any help!

She can stitch them to a background fabric using a zigzag. Make individual flowers on each background square

Power Poster
    ​I have seen them stitch to a background fabric and a bit of the background visible between them. The background looks like the lead in a stain glass window.

So, would you turn the edges under to do that?

Whether to turn under the edges depends on the size of the hexies. Tiny ones I would just do raw edge and use my blanket stitch on my machine. But I find using papers in the hexies EPP style makes sewing them together very easy in spite of the y seam. I Google 1' hexagon graph paper, print it and cut out the papers. Keep a basket by your TV chair and you'll be surprised at how fast it goes.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Power Poster
    Since you don’t know the hexagons fabric content, I would turn under the edges of the hexagons and stitch to the background.

Blog Entries
    I like to add batting beneath them and then background fabric cut one inch larger. then fold over each flat edge 1/4" , raw edge to raw edge, then fold 1/4" again over the hex fabric. pin and when you have a row together. zig zag them together. look up hickory nut tutorial here. same thing. good luck.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Gay
    Blog Entries
    You can also cut triangles from a background fabric and sew to three sides - you will then have triangle blocks and will be easier to put together. I have made a quilt with hexies finishing 2" wide by machine. Once you get the hang of it, can be very therapeutic.

Power Poster
    Cutting the hexies in half will take out 1/2 inch in the center of each of them for the seam allowances. And then they will no longer be equal sided hexies.

https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponli...72012924/51423

this shows what you can do by adding 2 triangles. I’ve made this one in a weekend

Blog Entries
    I did this one with triangles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Very cute quilt
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I did this one with triangles.
    I love your Daniel DeFoe quote.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher