Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexies >

Hexies

Hexies

Old 04-17-2014, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i sat with a gal at bee yesterday afternoon and we had an extensive discussion on them. i'd love to start a carry around project to sew at the odd waiting times. this gal used a glue stick to 'baste' the fabric on her papers.
QuiltnNan, That is exactly how I am making my hexies. I found the perfect small carry case for my supplies. The case is about the size of personal Bible and has zippered compartments. One compartment holds my tools, one holds the small squares of fabric, one holds completed hexies and one holds the paper pattern. I just happened to find it at a thrift store and it is one of my wonderful finds!

When I know that I will be waiting somewhere, I pick it up and it goes with me. It never fails but what someone will ask me what I am making. The person always has a story about their grandmother and a quilt.

I print the paper 1" hexies from texasfreckles.com. She is gracious and state that it is okay to use her template for personal use.

Good luck on your venture.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 AM

Carrie, you can breathe easy about hexies. There are no Y seams in sewing them together.

Hexies are placed right sides together with the paper foundation left inside. Hand stitch the edges together. They will all be nested together when you finish.

I am making a Grandmother Flower Garden top. You can Google this and see how they are pieced together.

Good luck.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:19 AM

WOW!!! That is stunning!!!! Lots of work though.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by linda faye View Post
QuiltnNan, That is exactly how I am making my hexies. I found the perfect small carry case for my supplies. The case is about the size of personal Bible and has zippered compartments. One compartment holds my tools, one holds the small squares of fabric, one holds completed hexies and one holds the paper pattern. I just happened to find it at a thrift store and it is one of my wonderful finds!

When I know that I will be waiting somewhere, I pick it up and it goes with me. It never fails but what someone will ask me what I am making. The person always has a story about their grandmother and a quilt.

I print the paper 1" hexies from texasfreckles.com. She is gracious and state that it is okay to use her template for personal use.

Good luck on your venture.
thanks, linda
Old 04-17-2014, 10:40 AM

I have begun this Merry-go-round quilt by Sandy Klop. I used modern fabrics. There are no "y" seams in this one either. Here I have the first Jelly roll laid out so I can make sure not to use the same fabrics together for the second one. My grand daughters love it. If I do it again I would use the 20 & 30's type fabric.
I think I will try a EPP type at some time, I was too scared to the first time.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]471991[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20140125_211139.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:44 AM

Thanks for asking this question. I have been reading this link trying to find out what EPP meant. Makes sense, now but when someone starts to talk in a "foreign language", I get all confused. I need to think about this hexie addiction and watch a tutorial or two before diving into another long term project. I have a few already, but ... don't we all. Tee- Hee!
Old 04-17-2014, 04:11 PM

Right there with everyone else "addicted" I have made two GFG's and now have just in the last week started a star like Bonnie Hunters star hexie quilt just using the picture for a pattern. As of right now only center medallion is done. I like working on this in the evenings especially in the summer when its hot.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:35 PM

I"m also addicted to hexies. I have been waiting since I was 15 yrs old to do one, and several years ago I decided to get into quilting after I retired. I made my first using 1.5 hex's and used my oldest daughters old clothes. She was very easy on her clothes, along with some from my high school dress's my mom made, and some of my mom's clothes and some new material. ( it's my avatar ). I didn't PP on that one. I traced the pattern on the back of the fabric and sewed on the traced line. Though the points are not 100 perfect. I didn't waste any fabric. Now I'm into 1" hex's using the 2.5 candies I get through swaps. Sew as I watch t.v. I am EPP these. Don't buy the PP, I cut them from photo paper. It's easier for me, a little thicker than paper and I have many box's from my Dad. So I'm using what I have.
As far as quilting. I HQ mine for I feel it goes with the pattern. Interesting to hear of many who love them and the different means to getting from point A to point Z. Great question.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:10 PM

Joysewer...how very pretty
Old 04-17-2014, 08:24 PM

Count me in! I love making hexies and find it very addicting but so much fun. I actually find it quite relaxing. Like Auntpiggylpn, I have one of the Fiskars hexagon cutters and it works great. I use a paperpunch to put a hole in the middle of the paper hexie, then it is easy to pop out with a crochet hook or scissors. I use the paper pieces 2 or 3 times. I am working on a GFG quilt and hope to finish it in the next year or two.