Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hey guys :) Joining batting? >

Hey guys :) Joining batting?

Hey guys :) Joining batting?

Old 12-12-2009, 05:46 PM

Anytime I've seen the "experts" join batting together, they always say to make the edges a gentle curve & sew those together. I'm not sure why, though I could make a few guesses. I imagine it might lay flatter, especially for the thicker battings. The few times I've joined batting together I've done it this way and I can't tell a difference once the quilt is together and finished.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Anytime I've seen the "experts" join batting together, they always say to make the edges a gentle curve & sew those together. I'm not sure why, though I could make a few guesses. I imagine it might lay flatter, especially for the thicker battings. The few times I've joined batting together I've done it this way and I can't tell a difference once the quilt is together and finished.
Thanks Tiffany, yes i've heard doing it this way makes it nicer too. Sooo, when you've done it this way, did you hand stitch or machine stitch the pieces together?
Old 12-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

You should be able to machine stitch this together. You are sewing through it to quilt it... Try it on a couple of narrow strips and see how it feeds through your machine, I would use a zig zag stitch.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:36 PM

I simply butt the two pieces together and, with my easy-feed foot, am able to zig-zag them together. I have not had any trouble with the batting catching in the feed dogs, and I don't find there is any difficulty with quilting; either machine or hand quilting. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2009, 08:13 PM
pal

Barb. Try putting the feed dogs down and putting a piece of tissue paper (like for wrapping a gift) under the polyester
batting. You have nothing to lose and I think it might work. Then tear the paper away from the batting.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:33 PM

Hi Barb. What I do is lay two ends together but overlap them enough to cut a curvy line all the way across. When you take away the extra pieces, the edges match perfectly and then I zig, zag sew them together. You can't feel a bump or ridge of any kind and it's easy to do.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Barb M
Originally Posted by Tiffany
Thanks Tiffany, yes i've heard doing it this way makes it nicer too. Sooo, when you've done it this way, did you hand stitch or machine stitch the pieces together?
I machine piece most everything so I machine pieced it but hand quilted it. I honestly could not have told you where the seam line was when I quilted it. Seemed to work great so I'm not changing anything the next time I do it. I figure if it works for you, don't change a thing!

Sounds like Jackie does hers the same way.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:17 PM

Thanks Tiffany and Jackie, i think i will try it that way, with the wavy line, and hopefully my batting wont get all caught in pressure foot and stuff, but it sounds like it works for others, so i will beat my machine into submission and tell it to work for me too! LOL Thank you everyone :)