Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hi! I'm from Louisiana

I too am on a limited budget. I splurged last christmas and bought a brother 1500. It has a larger throat and quilts nicely. I found mine online with free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by quilterwannabe
    Looking for suggestions on a first sewing machine to learn machine quilting on. I am an avid top maker with just a straight stitch old machine. My budget is limited . Any suggestions? I have really enjoyed this site and have gotten great ideas from ya'll already!!
    If you're going to be making quilts larger than lap size I would recommend looking for a machine with a longer throat plate. In Berninas that would have the designation "PE". It really makes a difference when you try to get all that material pushed to the right of your needle. If you find a machine you like, try checking on e-Bay. I've seen some great bargains there.

Blog Entries
    Good Morning,

Two of my sons live on the west coast. I go to visit for a week or two several times a year. I went to Target and bought the cheapest Singer to leave there at their house. It does a lot for $50. And it is light weight. I bought it about 4 years ago and the girlfriends use it, etc. For my purposes it is fine. At home I have Janomes, Singers and a Bernina. The Bernina is my present to myself at retirement.
    A lot of choices here but if you ever come across a Singer Featherweight ...BUY IT!
    Good Luck in your hunt,

Quilter68 who is now 69

Hi, and welcome from Ville Platte, Louisiana. Jackie

Hello from Denham Springs, LA. It's a personal preference on a sewing machine. The bigger the throat area, the open length from the needle to the back part of the machine, the better. I have 4 sewing machines. A big Brother that I use a lot because it has the auto threader & the built in cutter. Just makes sewing quicker. A small Brother that travels with me. It does okay & has several built in decorative stitches. A small Janome with no frills & an old Singer Golden Touch & Sew in a cabinet. The easiest to quilt on is the old Singer. The level surface is wonderful. The best to piece on is the Big Brother with the auto threader & cutter. There are a lot of good machines out there for less than $200. Have fun!

Your old straight stitch is just the place to start as long as the tension is good. Stick with it until you have saved up for whatever you want with all the bells and whistles. Remember, it's straight stitches that piece a quilt together. My 27 year old Granddaughter has been making quilts for about a year, including machine quiliting, on my 35 year old Pfaff. She does beautiful work.

Welcome from Denham Springs! Like the others, I suggest going to a machine dealer and seeing what's out there. The dealer will honor your machine warranty and be there for troubleshooting. If you're near Baton Rouge, check out All Brands or A1 for Janome and Brother, Fabric Krazy for Viking, and there's a Baby Lock dealer on College Drive. I wish I had a thread cutter on my machine.

Hi from New Iberia, I'm new too. They are right try the feel of several before you buy.

Jean Louisiana

Welcome! I live in Leesville, LA. :-D

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Alexandria, La.
    Heart of Louisiana and also of the HEAT Wave!

Welcome!

Welcome from Oklahoma. There is nothing better to make your quilt tops with than a vintage singer featherweight. I have a new machine with the bells and whistles and it doesn't even compare with the vintage machines in stitch quality.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    The best thing is to go to a Sewing machine shop or a JoAnn's & try a couple different machines out. There are all kind of price ranges. You don't have to spend a lot of money for basic quilting. Basics are a 1/4" foot, a walking foot, & capability of dropping feeddog for free motion quilting. Don't just watch them sew, try it yourself.
    Yes that is all you really need but try to get one with a large throat opening . It makes fmq sooo much easier

Power Poster
    I would try several machines at either Joann's or LQS and ask them what features are best for quilters, but sit down and try the machines yourself.

Hi and welcome from Lafayette, Louisiana.

Hi! I live in a town close to Shreveport. If you are close to Shreveport, go see the owner of Shreveport Sewing Center. He gives great advice and sells new and used machines. He goes through every used machine and reconditions it. I was able to get a much nicer machine this way. He also stands behind what he sells. Welcome!

Welcome to the coolest board!

Looking for suggestions on a first sewing machine to learn machine quilting on. I am an avid top maker with just a straight stitch old machine. My budget is limited . Any suggestions? I have really enjoyed this site and have gotten great ideas from ya'll already!!
    Whatever you do get one that you can drop the feed dogs on. That is the little teeth that forward your material. You want to have control moving the fabric so you usually drop them to be in control yourself. Some times people trade in perfectly good machines for a trade in so you might go to a dealer ship and see if you can get one with a service contract. It costs nearly $200. to get your machine cleaned and calibrated. I personally have a Pfaff quilt expression 2046. Got it after I retired. Would never be without a service contract. I also learned over time that each machine is made for a different purpose. I do not mend jeans on this machine as it can mess it up and need to be recalibrated.

hi and welcome from Pineville, Louisiana.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Welcome from Oregon.

Hi and welcome from Texas, Minnesota and Florida.

Welcome from another Louisianian. I'm in Loreauville, Where are you?

Honey you have all that you need to start quilting. Of course all of the more "souped up" machines are nice to have and you can do much more with them, but you can get pretty creative with a straight stitcher. What do you think those much-talked-about featherweights are. Right, Gang. Tell her all she can do with that straight stitcher.

thanks for the information. I actually am in Scott, right outside Lafayette.

HI and welcome from Opelousas,La.

O.K. I give up her Location says: "In Hiding"
    How did ya all know she lives in Louisiana. I was reading this topic and realized that all these people from Louisiana were replying - told him wow where did all these Louisiana people come from... How did you know she was from here?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast