Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hi, new with a question.

Hi everyone. I am new.
    Was wondering if anyone knows of a good online DISCOUNT quilting fabric retailer.
    I want to buy fabric to keep quilting but it's so expensive.
    Post links if you got em.
    Thanks.

Welcome to the Board Beetle, from firey SoCal.
    I usually check the 'close out' sections of any of the online stores & have been able to get some great deals. One of my faves is www.hancocks-paducah.com - just remember that they (and many others) price by the half-yard.

Hi Beetle, welcome from Texas. I usually buy my material at Joanns with coupons or WalMart. Sometimes I buy online at various sites when they have closeouts

Blog Entries
    Hi and welcome From Mass. I just got some from Patch Lanefor 3.00. You have to look at thier discounts.

A lot of the quilters here shop at http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/ I haven't used them yet but have perused the site many times, they have a nice selection. There is also www.connectingthreads.com. They have kits and patters all from their fabric. Those are the two off of the top of my head that have lower priced fabric by the yard.

This hobby is an expensive one. You alwys need to buy something. It is not cheap to make a quilt.

Check out your local thrift stores or garage sales and craigs list for fabric. Some quilt shops have clearance sales at the end ofthe year and have fabric for $4 a yard. Buy 99 cent Fat Q's from Joann's use coupons for them and Hancock fabrics.

Buy when you see a sale and build up your stash!!!!

5bucksayard.com has great prices with lots under $5.

Ebay has some great bargains, but be prepared to be disappointed at times - just because something is 100% cotten does not mean it is suitable for quilts - ask the vendor or you could end up with upholstery or thin fabric.

Hello and another welcome from Smokey Southern California. I get most of my "sale" fabrics locally when my LQS and other stores have some great sales.

www.connectingthreads.com

5.96 a yard and their fabrics coordinate so beautifully so you don't have to wonder if what you're buying will "go together"!!

Thanks everyone, for the tips and the welcome.

Also, check out Nixiechicks and Ficklepickle.
    Some great prices there too!

i think www.quiltinaday,com[url] has a clearance center. check the cues.

www.quiltinaday.com[url]

forgot to highlight the first time around.
    why does mine say url? i just can't get this right!

it's called the fabric frenzy section.

in the search box type in fabric and choices will appear. choose fabric frenzy . you will see all she has at that time. she also has cuts really cheap in the fabric clearance section.

I've checked out the links posted and found some good prices. I appreciate it. I know it's an expensive hobby but, like everyone else right now, money is tight. I'm new to quilting and don't have much of a stash so when I get ideas for something, I can't start on it. If I can find lower prices to build up a stash, that really helps.

Blog Entries
    You already have some good internet sites listed for you. I just started to quilt in 2006, so I know what you mean about nothing to start out with. I bought a couple of "lots" of mixed fabric off of ebay. I got some really great deals and ended up with a stash that lets me practice on blocks and some really nice stuff too! You might want to keep your eyes out for them. Oh..welcome to the board!

You guys gave me some good leads on affordable fabric and...
    I just won an Ebay auction on a big ol box of blue fabrics. I'm psyched. I realize it's a gamble and not all of the fabric may be top notch but the seller has some good ratings. It will get me started on a quilt I've been thinking of for my Mom. If my transaction goes well with this seller, they have another big box of another color I'm thinking of getting. Then I'll be set to make my Mom's quilt. Props to those who told me to check Ebay... I dunno why but that just didn't occur to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Also, check out Nixiechicks and Ficklepickle.
    Some great prices there too!
    Thank you for those sites, have bought quite a bit from Nixiechicks when they started on Ebay. Great material and service so should be a good resource, prices looked good too. Now to check out "Ficklepickle" :D

You might want to look at the QuiltDash.com site and shop a number of places. They all have sale sections and special offers.

judee

2ME
    I stumbled accross a great blog the other day that has a "Sale Alert Sunday" section. Here is the link to this section: http://www.trueup.net/?cat=143 She updates it every Sunday and like everything, some sales are better than others. I like this because the sales she tracks are usually for the premium designer quilting fabrics. I know that stuff is expensive, but I'm such a sucker for it and whenever I use cheap fabric I waste so much of it or it wears out so much faster that I regret it.

Banned
    Hello & Welcome from Washington

2ME
    Hi again, I just checked my email and got something from a shop newsletter I subscribe to and thought you guys would want to know about. It came on Tuesday (I'm kind of a bum when it comes to checking my messages!) but it is for a cool online shop called Stitch Simple. They are having a 50% sale if you spend $100 over Thanksgiving weekend and susbcribe to the newsletter, plus you also get a code to share with friends and family for 40% off $100 or more. The message says you can send it to your friends and that if they sign up for the newsletter before the sale starts that they get their own 50% off code. I just sent mine to all my fabric crafty and quilting friends and someone wrote back write away that the Welcome letter they got when they signed up gave them the 50% off code. I really like this shop- good quality stuff and while a little more expensive it is all the good designers (Amy Butler, Moda and Oh I love some of the Hoffman batiks and Japanese stuff) and everything is prewashed so it saves me that extra step (they also cut it into squares and rectangles or make kits with it if you want). Seems like a great way to build up the stash! I'm always looking for that. I think there are a couple of ways to sign-up on the site, but for sure there is one on the homepage at www.stitchsimple.com.

Blog Entries
    Oh, thanks for sharing that! Gee..we like you here..you are saving us money already!! :lol:

Found another good online retailer for bargain/discount fabric.
    http://www.fabricshack.com
    Large inventory too.

Got my box of blue fabrics that I won on ebay. Everything looks to be good quality fabrics. Many name brands. Great way to build a stash. I haven't measured but the seller says her boxes average 19-20 yards, so I'm happy.
    I wasn't sure what I'd get but decided to gamble. :D Box was very heavy and she stuffed it full.

Blog Entries
    Don't you just love to get boxes that you don't know what is in it??? Its early Christmas around here when that happens. I think sometimes I buy lots like that just so I can get that excited :lol: :lol: :wink:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast