Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hidden Wells Quilt Repair >

Hidden Wells Quilt Repair

Hidden Wells Quilt Repair

Old 04-02-2018, 05:23 AM

Default Hidden Wells Quilt Repair

I just got my GGD's quilt back for repair. I made it as a QAYG quilt 5 years ago. The front looks fine but the flannel on the back looks like it is just disintegrating at the seams. The label is almost completely unreadable (ink jet print).

I'm learning some very important things about FMQ having had this quilt and another one to repair. Quilts that are not that old. The main lesson, for me, is to quilt over the seams. On this one, the sashing was quilted down but that left the fabric next to the seams vulnerable. So more quilting in the future.

This quilt will need a new back. Maybe Minky. Otherwise, I will have to add a new batting and backing and quilt it again. While with the Minky, I would be able to just quilt the sashing going over the seams from the front. (The photo on the bottom represents the correct color.)

I have never done this on a large quilt (the other quilt I repaired was a baby quilt). I will bring the Minky to the front as I do not believe removing the binding is a good idea.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, would love your input. I will have to order the Minky so will have time to ponder this problem.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]592041[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]592042[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_4611.jpg   img_4614.jpg  

Last edited by yolajean; 04-02-2018 at 05:24 AM. Reason: correction
Old 04-02-2018, 07:14 AM

I don't use flannel on my backings. A lot of the times, it is woven much looser than cotton and therefore will fray and pull out much easier. That being said, it is much softer and will stay on your lap better, but unless I would use a very good grade, super heavy, I would have no confidence in it's staying power. Too many years of having flannel shirts deteriorate after washing just a few times in the washer, whereas cotton goes on forever. Every once in a while I find a flannel that I think will last and it's always pricey. If I did use it, I would probably double sew all my seams. The first being at the 1/4 inch mark and then a wavy seam that goes from 1/8 inch to 1/4 to prevent it pulling out. That's what I have done when I made the mistake of buying just the right color fabric and didn't realize about the fraying until I just didn't want to take out all the seams and replace the fabric.

Edited to add: I was looking at your picture and it looks like some of the seams aren't a full quarter. That would have contributed to the pulling apart of the seams.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-02-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

​How disappointing! Putting Minky or fleece on the back and quilting down the sashing sounds like a good plan.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Wow that is disappointing. I've made several flannel quilts for the grands and they have been washed a lot with no issues. I too wonder if the seams weren't at least a quarter inch.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:12 AM

The quality of the flannel may have a lot to do with the problems. Good flannels are quite tightly woven.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:19 AM

I've had this problem with a couple of my QAYG quilts. I unpick the seam and then add a small amount of fabric to the seam that has pulled out and re-stitched it. Problem solved.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:38 AM

Your GGD must be loving that quilt every day, all day - and that's a good thing/big compliment to you!

Minky will make a wonderful new backing. And the quilt will be warmer as well.

Flannel is one of my favorite backings, but I have never done quilt as you go, so can't comment about that technique. When I use flannel for backing, I generally will seam two pieces together and then LA quilt.

I read early on in my quilting career that flannel must be washed and dried twice before using, so that is what I do.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:18 AM

Thank you, everyone, for your comments. This flannel (and I don't remember where I bought it or how much it was) is actually weakening at the seams. If I pull the seams (that are not open) flat, I can see that the fibers are shredding. I've stopped using fleece because no matter how much I pay or how loudly they say it is "non pilling", it still pills and is awful. Have learned not to use flannel on a QAYG. Too much stress on the seams. Have ordered the Shannon Minky and will cover as mentioned before. So sad to realize that my quilt didn't last more than 5 years. Must rethink all of my techniques before I do another quilt.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:43 AM

I have had the exact same thing happen with flannel, and it was a good quality flannel - Woolies by Bonnie Sullivan, from Maywood Studios. I honestly think it's the flannel and not the seam allowances or thread or anything you did.

I'm wondering if the dyes they use have anything to do with it. The first quilt I ever made was a flannel quilt, can't remember what brand of flannel, but that one is wearing thin everywhere, not just the seams.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:57 PM

did you use poly thread? I've got a couple of quilts (not made by me) that have had the seam sawed through.