Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In hiding???? >

In hiding????

In hiding????

Old 05-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Guess it comes down to a personal preference.

Most of the time I really never notice the member's location.

Some folks do put a LOT of very personal stuff on here - and it is accessible to ANYONE, ANY WHERE, ANY TIME - that has an internet connection.

Just think of it as being on the front page of your local newspaper - if you wouldn't put it there, keep it off the internet.
using a fake ID and not revealing your real name makes finding you very difficult. unless you know my full, true name, i don't think you'll find me in any phone book or internet search site under the name "butterflywing". so knowing that i live somewhere in central new jersey won't help you unless i choose to tell you who i am and specifically where i live.

how could i find 'bearisgray' unless you privately told me your name and address?

therefore, i feel that it's safe to include a general location, such as Mule's Head, Montana. or Northern Montana. especially if you use a name such as 'Needles'.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:04 PM

I also think it is fun to know where people live. Most everyone goes by a different name than their own. As far as idenity theft, it is probably next to zero.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing

Some folks do put a LOT of very personal stuff on here - and it is accessible to ANYONE, ANY WHERE, ANY TIME - that has an internet connection.

Just think of it as being on the front page of your local newspaper - if you wouldn't put it there, keep it off the internet.
If we google our board names, everything we've posted here can be found.

using a fake ID and not revealing your real name makes finding you very difficult. unless you know my full, true name, i don't think you'll find me in any phone book or internet search site under the name "butterflywing". so knowing that i live somewhere in central new jersey won't help you unless i choose to tell you who i am and specifically where i live.

how could i find 'bearisgray' unless you privately told me your name and address?

therefore, i feel that it's safe to include a general location, such as Mule's Head, Montana. or Northern Montana. especially if you use a name such as 'Needles'.
It probably is fairly safe to reveal one's general location.

However, when I googled "bearisgray" - I could find just about everything I've posted on here.

Just sayin' - - -
Old 05-08-2011, 01:10 PM

GG-Gma....i want to read some of your poems, see some of your figurines, and some samples of your quilting!!!!!
Old 05-08-2011, 01:13 PM

how do you make the message you are responding to appear in small gray print at the top of your page?
Old 05-08-2011, 01:28 PM

I'll bet that if we didn't have "Helpful" children, we'd be forced to figure out computer stuff for outselves.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing

If we google our board names, everything we've posted here can be found.

It probably is fairly safe to reveal one's general location.

However, when I googled "bearisgray" - I could find just about everything I've posted on here.

Just sayin' - - -
bear, have you posted your real, full name on an open post? or
your specific address? if you joined a round robin or emailed someone here, then that info is already out there, right? so saying where you live, in general terms, doesn't put you at additional risk. if you haven't, then it puts you at little to no risk without additional information. if you have private diary then you have more info out there than just your general location, and much more personal information than most virtual friends need to have about you. there are people here who know my name and address, but they are people i trust. you know my user ID and that i live in central new jersey. can you find me?
and if you did, then you would be one more person that knows where i am. like every one of my neighbors and members of every organization i belong to.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:44 PM

I suppose, I lied where I live.
I wrote where I have lived the most in my life and consider it home.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Marty K
how do you make the message you are responding to appear in small gray print at the top of your page?

when you want to answer a specific post, such as this one, you click on "quote reply" instead of "reply". the box that appears will have the quote that you're responding to, and you just answer above or below it. the program does the rest when you 'send'.

EDIT: test it and see. i just added this by clicking on 'edit'.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:12 PM

I thought I had put Ks. for my location. Dont know what happened but will try to correct it sorry.

Happy Mothers day every one.