Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hints for choosing fabrics, esp hue and intensity >
  • Hints for choosing fabrics, esp hue and intensity

• Hints for choosing fabrics, esp hue and intensity

Old 10-21-2017, 03:05 AM

You are lucky Irishrose2, I wish the misfits would jump out at me. I need to stay in a line of fabrics. I let someone else pick all those colors and hues and values. I pick the pattern and then just order a layer cake and a couple of extra yards, staying within that line of fabric, usually with the same designer: Debbie Beaves. I really like her stuff and purple and green are my thing right now.
    Old 10-21-2017, 05:45 AM

I don't know what will work, I only guess, and always take photos, as a wrong fabric selection will jump out in a photo. Fabrics I thought would work often do not work once I see them in blocks on the design wall; I do lots of editing. I really rely on the long view given by photos when choosing the final arrangement of blocks. I know right away if I like something or don't like it, but where I fall short is envisioning possibilities. It's often happened that I discover a great combination completely by accident, and I always wish I would have been able to foresee it, as opposed to stumbling upon it.
    Old 10-21-2017, 07:02 AM

If I think one fabric is just too much, I take a photo on my phone, change it to black and white and WOW, does a too much fabric stand out! If I am just not sure about a border or a combo, I like to lay it out on the bed and leave it. Every time I walk in the room I look at it with fresh eyes. Is it growing on me? Is one fabric just jumping out as wrong? Does it really look different in the different light (room light vs. daylight). Trust your gut. If you force yourself to use something that you actually don't care for, you will probably end up with a UFO!
    Old 10-21-2017, 11:19 AM

Standing back and taking a photo, then reviewing the photo, shows up amazing things! For example, I was recently at a small quilt show that had a quilt on display that really spoke to me for a use of my scraps and the maker had indicated it was a Bonnie Hunter pattern. My husband and I both liked it and we're caught up at looking at the chain directions in it. Anyway, i took a picture with my phone for a "someday quilt" possibility. Hopped in the vehicle and headed down the road. I was passing the time reviewing my photos as we travelled and came across that quilt picture. I'm like holy cow! I totally did not see the overall pattern of that quilt at the time of the show. It was even more awesome than I thought!
    Old 10-22-2017, 02:11 PM

I often find a novelty fabric and I use the dye dots along the selvage to pick coordinating colors. The one thing that really helped my color choices ( and I learn something on EVERY quilt about color!), is using a design wall. If I think I need a yellow, I tack up 3 or 4 choices. As I pass by, working on something else, I take off the ones that really DON"T work...until finally I have my choice.
    Old 10-22-2017, 02:19 PM
    Power Poster

I finally learned to not be so matchy-matchy.

Jinny Beyer has this color theory about "bridging" from one color to another in a print.

This is the book that it was in: Jinny Beyer's Color Confidence for Quilters

I found it to be helpful.

Joan Wolfram also has some books about color theory.

For starters, just look at prints that you like - also look at the ones you don't like - and try to figure out what it is about them that appeals to you - or repels you.
    Old 10-22-2017, 03:17 PM

I also take photos with my cell phone but someone told me years ago to get some glasses with red lenses... Never did ask WHERE to find them... One day while looking for something in my hubby 's toolbox I found two pair of red glasses with red lenses.. So, yes I confiscated one pair, who needs two, right? And they were still wrapped in plastic never opened! They work really good too.. When something is off..and you're not sure what.. They help. Not sure why, but I'm not giving them up!
    Old 10-22-2017, 03:55 PM

Read about quilters and color. Years ago Jenny Beyer had a vhs tape out and she showed samples if you match to exactly quilts look flat. Match the colors and then go just darker or lighter on some of them.

You get better by trying so make a series of small quilts. Or analyze quilts you love and dissect the underlying pattern off color. I recommend Joan Wolfram's 3 in 1 color tool. http://joenwolfrom.com/color-design-tools/ I use it to understand what might work on something I am envisioning. or I use the tool when I am trying to add fabric to project - yes, I can do it by bringing swatches with me and walking among bolts of fabric, but the tool helps me get into the range I want quicker.
    Old 10-22-2017, 04:14 PM

I also start with value, using black and white pictures. That came with me to quilting from working with color in weaving. I am finding there are major differences when it comes to pattern. With weaving I am starting with color and texture and I pick the pattern by how I place color and what structure I use. With fabric, the pattern is already there and combining it along with the pattern of the blocks and then the overall look of the final piece is interesting. The design wall has helped with that, and again I take black & white pictures and move the blocks around til it works.