Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making templates >

Making templates

Making templates

Old 10-20-2017, 03:43 AM

Default Making templates

I chose a sampler quilt pattern that requires templates. I purchased sheets of plastic specifically designed to make these piecing templates. The plastic is not that thick ( even though the description said it was thick and received 5 star reviews) so I am wondering : are there any tricks and tips when cutting fabric when using templates? Do you draw an outline from the template and cut the fabric with sizzors instead of using a rotary cutter? Do you add anything to the plastic template that would stay put on the fabric before cutting?
thanks
Old 10-20-2017, 03:50 AM
KR

I only use templates for appliqué pieces. Use a sandpaper board to hold fabric steady while drawing around the template. Cut out the piece with scissors, leaving a seam allowance.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:53 AM

I draw around the template with a pencil and cut with scissors. I like to make sure the 1/4 is added to the template. I have had some templates where you add the 1/4 after marking around the template but before cutting. I don't add anything to the template to hold it. I try to keep it all simple and easy. That is for piecing - for appliqué I would just mark around the template and then cut it out making sure I had enough around the edge to tuck under when I sew.

Last edited by sinceresissy; 10-20-2017 at 03:57 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

This is how I make plastic templates:

Making templates for a triangle in a square unit

When I use these templates, I can do one of two things:

Just carefully cut with the rotary cutter - trying not to nick the template (which happens more often than I would like it to)

Or lay a "regular quilting ruler" on top of the template and cut along the edge of the ruler - this protects the edge of the template plastic and is what I usually do. The small rulers work better for doing this.

There are several more tutorials for how to make templates in the tutorial section.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
This is how I make plastic templates:

Making templates for a triangle in a square unit

When I use these templates, I can do one of two things:

Just carefully cut with the rotary cutter - trying not to nick the template (which happens more often than I would like it to)

Or lay a "regular quilting ruler" on top of the template and cut along the edge of the ruler - this protects the edge of the template plastic and is what I usually do. The small rulers work better for doing this.

There are several more tutorials for how to make templates in the tutorial section.
thank-you so much for this link! I have only been quilting for 4 years and still consider myself a newbie on things. This is one of them. Everyone has been very helpful.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

I do templates that have the 1/4 inch already on because I find they are more accurate. If you trace around the template without it, you are already adding a pencil width of fabric, then if you cut with the rotary cutter using that line, you are adding another bit to the shape.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:59 AM

I usually draw the outline of the template onto my fabric. If no seam allowance is included with the template piece, I use my regular ruler and rotary cutter and just use the 1/4" marking on my ruler and place that on the drawn line and then cut. If the seam allowance is included in the template piece I just place the cutting edge of my ruler on the drawn line and use my rotary cutter. So far, so good.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:08 AM

I used to buy the plastic to make my templates but this year I discovered cardboard. I use the packages that food comes in such as tvdinners, pot pies, etc. Any clean cardboard that I have. I glue the pattern piece to the clean cardboard and then cut around the piece. I can't tell you how much this saves me, because I have a passion for quilts and I write the name of the quilt on the piece if it is not already on it. This is so durable and I just love it. You won't need anything to keep it from slipping, as you only draw around your template. Hope this helps you.
I have a printer and I copy the pattern pieces so I don't lose my original pattern.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Cardboard does work - but I still prefer to see what is under the template or ruler before cutting anything.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by KR View Post
I only use templates for appliqué pieces. Use a sandpaper board to hold fabric steady while drawing around the template. Cut out the piece with scissors, leaving a seam allowance.
I do the same.