Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hmong quilting >

hmong quilting

hmong quilting

Old 04-28-2010, 04:51 PM

any info on hmong type quilting. I came across a 5 inch square with a a layer of fabric on top that was stitched with the finest of small stitches. The hmong people of laos and vietnam who were our allies during the war were saved and brought to the US. Whenever they had a spare moment the stitched these tiny squares. Each design has a meaning. They were given for a special occasion or as a thank you for a friend. The Sept issue of Quilters World 09 had an article. The internet had some info.
I understant that rhode Island and MN have a majority of hmong people. has any one else heard of this.. would like to collect more of these squares. and get the meanings of the stitches. When my Dcomes to visit I;ll ask her to help me with a pic.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:11 PM

I don't have any info for you, but it sounds fascinating. I would like to know more, too.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:14 PM

There is also a very large community of Hmong in Fresno, Ca. And yes, thier stitching is fantastic.
If you will Google hmong in fresno, ca there will be a large number of organizations that you may contact in your search!
Good luck!!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

This quilting sounds very intriguing, I would like to hear more about it also.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:27 PM

wait til you see the pic. if you hold it up to the light you can see the layer and intricate design.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 PM

I have one of them somewhere, I haven't seen it since I moved..... hmmmmm

I got mine at a local quilt show years ago. It was done in my favorite colors.

I would have loved to purchased many of them, but they were a little pricey, so I settled for one.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 PM

Yes, I am familiar with Hmong People. I have a six by six inch piece of embroidery work. I also so some examples of their story quilts. They do the most amazingly intricate and beautiful work.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:39 PM

I lived in Vientiane, Laos and was actually evacuated in May 1975. we saw many Hmong women every day, they would come into town and sit around the marketplace and do their hand work, which was tiny crosstitch work, no quilting. All their work was done on black fabric because at that time there were no real roads, just dirt and it was very dusty. My DH was in the U.S. Army attached to our embassy and the Lao General's wife wanted me to teach her officer's wives how to do American crafts. I wasn't quilting then but I did needlepoint so I had a Herrschner's catalog to show her. She loved the applique quilts but wanted me to order them with black backgrounds. Running out of space,anyone interested in more??? Kutnso
Old 04-29-2010, 04:06 PM

About 4 years we were visiting Lancaster, PA area , visiting quilt and fabric shop. While we were at one shop a van load of Hmong ladies came into the shop to deliver quilts to be sold. I was shocked by this because these quilts are sold as "Amish made quilts", I feel this is very dishonest to the customers. They do beautiful work,granted but they are not truly "Amish" quilts. These people do not get the big money--the stores do.
Sorry I had to vent as I feel the tourists who go there for genuine "Amish" quilts and pay the big prices are being lied to. What is your opinion?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:47 PM

That is a interesting moral quandry. I agree that all quilts sold should be honestly represented. For years, quilts from the Applachian mountains in West Virginia were bought from the women who made them for terribly small amounts of money...and then resold for high prices. Once some charitable organizations realized how those Appalachian women were being exploited, they began to buy the quilts for a much fairer rate. It is sad when anyone's hard work is taken advantage of!

What area are you from cabinquilt? I live in the North Hills of Pittsburgh off of Route 8.