Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hobby Lobby fabrics

kso
    We are supposed to be getting a Hobby Lobby store in the near future. What can you tell me about their fabric department?

not quilt shop quality but I have used them and havent had a problem yet.

In my area, they do not open on Sundays. They do have a huge inventory of interesting and pretty home decor items and furniture, AND a fair amount of FABRICS!

Hobby Lobby has some very nice fabric! The last time I went there I was surprized to see how much they had! Have fun shopping!

kso
    Quote Originally Posted by mimom
    not quilt shop quality but I have used them and havent had a problem yet.
    What are the prices like?

I have found some very nice fabric there. I enjoy their selections.

the hobby lobby i go to has very nice fabrics along with way too much other gunk! it is enormous.

I worked at Hobby Lobby for a few years (moonlighting) in the fabrics department.

They carry a variety of fabrics including their own Hobby Lobby line of fabrics.

I've seen really nice quality...all the way down to average quality. I have always bought their fabric and used it in everything I make.

Their prices are reasonable, and the nice thing about Hobby Lobby is they have a 40% off coupon every other week or so.

And all their stores are closed on Sundays - the founder/owner believes that people working for him should be able to enjoy one day with their families.

They have all grades ... craft quality and some that is pretty nice. I am making a quilt for my daughter using Hobby Lobby branded fabric right now ... yellow / white and a black print background with yellow and white floral - putting a pieced heart in the top - kinda cool - put a quick pic as my avatar for the night. But ... you will be happy with some of their fabric. The price is right and you can generally find a 40% off coupon online. Rambling - sorry.

Love shopping Hobby Lobby. Today I went browsing and was going to buy a swivel mat (for rotary cutting) and they were sold out. I asked if I could order one and still use my 40% off coupon. The clerk was very nice. She immediately put in on her list to order - said she will order on Monday and if it is in stock should be in Wednesday. So if in the future you need something it may be worth asking them to order for you!! Just thought I'd share that great experience.

The Hobby Lobby in our area DOES carry LQS quality fabrics--not all of the fabrics they carry are but many, many of them are absolutely WONDERFUL!!! The owners of Hobby Lobby feel that Sunday is a day that their employees should go to church or spend with their families---one of the many reasons I like to support their store.

Blog Entries
    We dont have a Hobby Lobby Here in Oregon to my knowledge. But I sure wish they did. I have a couple of friends in Louisiana that shops there regularly.

The HL in my area has reduced the size of the fabric department, but still carries a decent collection. I have used a fair amount of their fabric, and for the most part, my store is between JoAnn's and LQS. Prices here range from $3.99 and up. They have sales every week, and a 40% coupon several weeks each month.

I have used their material and it was fine. I think they are now selling online.

I like most of Hobby Lobby fabric. It's very pretty and reasonably priced.

I like that the owner is a Christian and does not open the stores on Sunday. Wish more stores were closed.

Quote Originally Posted by kso
    We are supposed to be getting a Hobby Lobby store in the near future. What can you tell me about their fabric department?
    They carry nice fabric. Its like any other store you have to know what your buying. Check the end of the bolt. They do have good sales every week

I love Hobby Lobby! Their cotton fabrics range from $2.99 - $9.99 - they have a great variety of prints and some well known mfg's such as Alexander Henry.

I think their fleece is overpriced, but we also have a Hancock Fabric about 2 miles away from Hobby Lobby, and Hancock's fleece is always on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by kso

I buy fabrics at Hobby Lobby and they have some real good 100% cotton fabrics. That is the only kind I buy, don't make any thing but quilts. As always buyer beware.
    They are cheaper than Jo Anns, in this area.

I thought they were worse than walmart quality :(

Blog Entries
    We got Hobby Lobby about 5 years ago. Our store carries very nice fabrics and the prices range from $5.99 to $8.99 and fleece is a little higher. The fabric is almost always 30% off at our store and you can use the 40% coupon instead of 30%. They have finally started getting in some new designs in fabric and I am thrilled!! For the longest time, the patterns never changed, same fabric day in and day out.

They do have some nice fabrics, but you have to be very careful... can't depend on reading the end labels on the bolts. I got a very nice patriotic-themed fabric there, but wasn't too impressed with the other fabrics. They're mostly into crafting, I think, rather than quilting. Or that's my take, anyway.

I love Hobby Lobby, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to walk on any toes either but my experience with Hobby Lobby fabric hasn't been pleasant. Let me fill you in on my experience. I and made a quilt with some fabric from Hobby Lobby along with some fabric from my local quilt store. I worked an outside craft show and the wind blew so bad that I had to wash everything that I had on display. The quilt store fabric washed up great. Didn't even look like it had been washes. The Hobby Lobby fabric, pulled away from the quilt fabric and I could see all the way through that fabric, thru the batting, and saw the back fabric like it had not even been there. I had done a lot of work to this quilt (stained glass mermaid) and I she was my pride and joy. Now I don't even put her out because she looks so bad and I can't repair her. Here is the quilt BEFORE I had to wash it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh, my, what a terrible experience, and how disappointing for you, after putting all that work into it! It just goes to show how sometimes what you see is NOT what you get. Caveat emptor applies here, too. I haven't washed that patriotic-themed fabric yet, but I think I shall before I use it, just so I'll know whether to use it or not. And I thought I was being so careful! Thanks for sharing your experience.

i like hobby lobby

I am new to quilting so cannot comment on the quality of the fabric, but the prices are good and the coupons are great.
    I bought some fat quarters the other day from HL, you can see on my blog, I went back again today and bought another set of fat quarters to go witht the ones I bought the other day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast