Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hobby Lobby fabrics >

Hobby Lobby fabrics

Hobby Lobby fabrics

Old 01-22-2011, 09:16 PM

They do have some nice fabrics, but you have to be very careful... can't depend on reading the end labels on the bolts. I got a very nice patriotic-themed fabric there, but wasn't too impressed with the other fabrics. They're mostly into crafting, I think, rather than quilting. Or that's my take, anyway.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:29 PM

I love Hobby Lobby, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to walk on any toes either but my experience with Hobby Lobby fabric hasn't been pleasant. Let me fill you in on my experience. I and made a quilt with some fabric from Hobby Lobby along with some fabric from my local quilt store. I worked an outside craft show and the wind blew so bad that I had to wash everything that I had on display. The quilt store fabric washed up great. Didn't even look like it had been washes. The Hobby Lobby fabric, pulled away from the quilt fabric and I could see all the way through that fabric, thru the batting, and saw the back fabric like it had not even been there. I had done a lot of work to this quilt (stained glass mermaid) and I she was my pride and joy. Now I don't even put her out because she looks so bad and I can't repair her. Here is the quilt BEFORE I had to wash it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-165887.jpe  
Old 01-22-2011, 09:34 PM

Oh, my, what a terrible experience, and how disappointing for you, after putting all that work into it! It just goes to show how sometimes what you see is NOT what you get. Caveat emptor applies here, too. I haven't washed that patriotic-themed fabric yet, but I think I shall before I use it, just so I'll know whether to use it or not. And I thought I was being so careful! Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:00 PM

i like hobby lobby
Old 01-22-2011, 10:14 PM

I am new to quilting so cannot comment on the quality of the fabric, but the prices are good and the coupons are great.
I bought some fat quarters the other day from HL, you can see on my blog, I went back again today and bought another set of fat quarters to go witht the ones I bought the other day.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:51 AM

Our Hobby Lobby has a very large fabric department. Their cottons range in price from about $2.99/yard to $6.99 a yard and they are always on sale for 30% off.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

I use Hobby Lobby fabric regularly and have not had a problem with it.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tsanchez
I love Hobby Lobby, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to walk on any toes either but my experience with Hobby Lobby fabric hasn't been pleasant. Let me fill you in on my experience. I and made a quilt with some fabric from Hobby Lobby along with some fabric from my local quilt store. I worked an outside craft show and the wind blew so bad that I had to wash everything that I had on display. The quilt store fabric washed up great. Didn't even look like it had been washes. The Hobby Lobby fabric, pulled away from the quilt fabric and I could see all the way through that fabric, thru the batting, and saw the back fabric like it had not even been there. I had done a lot of work to this quilt (stained glass mermaid) and I she was my pride and joy. Now I don't even put her out because she looks so bad and I can't repair her. Here is the quilt BEFORE I had to wash it.
What a beautiful quilt, I am so sorry! One question, did you prewash the fabric, if not, do you think prewashing would have helped?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:24 AM

I love watching the remenants at our Hobby Lobby and have gotten real good deals.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:33 AM

I have only been sewing for 2 1/2 years. I made this quilt about 6 months after I started quilting so I was still in the "learning" stage. I had not washed any of my fabrics before I used them. I am now washing all of my fabric before I make a quilt. I'm also only using the quilt fabric. This mermaid wasn't the only thing ruined. I had found that all of the cheaper fabric ie..HL, Walmart, and Alco, did not wash up well when used with the higher quality fabric. Please don't think that I am downing anyone for buying fabric from any of these places because I'm not. I LOVE HL, I just don't buy most fabrics from there. Just do me one favor. Buy a FQ from a high quality quilt shop and a FQ from HL, Walmart, Joann's, or any of those type stores. Then hold them together, feel the difference, then hold both up to a light. That's all I ask.