Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hobby Lobby >

Hobby Lobby

Hobby Lobby

Old 01-18-2013, 06:09 AM

I like Hobby Lobby, I like that they keep some fabrics the same almost all the time and change out their seasonals. And I agree, it's like any other store - some of their fabrics are better than others. I like to go and touch them too! My daughter has asked me if I NEED to touch every fabric, I say "of course!"
Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 AM

They quite often have Northcott fabric which feels and looks great. Another thing I like about HL is that some fabrics they can re-order if you want more of it. They also carry a lot bigger selection of blender fabrics than the Hancocks that we have in town. But my favorite place to shop is my LQS...I just wish it was bigger and had more of a selection.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:07 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Years ago when making garments for the growing girls; I would shop Hobby Lobby, Hancock's, Cloth World (when it was around), Denver Fabrics for the best cheapest priced fabric. Throughout the washings seemed like all 6 would hold up with the grind of kids and washing. Now that I do garments for the grands: I still shop at Hobby Lobby, Hancock's, Jo-Ann's, Denver Fabrics for the best cheapest priced fabrics and online (even tho I am not crazy about online with cards) Fabrics.com, CT.
When the local LQS was going out of business; I bought many fabrics I would never buy at retail for 70 % off and put them in my stash and they wash beautifully as I used some in the quilts for the grands for Christmas.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

I have bought lots of fabric from Hobby Lobby and it is very good quality. I only buy their 100% cotton fabrics. I buy fabric anywhere that is not too expensive. I only go by the feel or past experience.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:23 AM

I have bought a lot from them and have loved it all. The one I shop at has added quite a bit more and it is beautiful.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I have always liked the fabrics that Hobby Lobby carries. However, a decision was made at corporate level almost 10 years ago, and most of the stores scaled way back in the fabric department. Unlike Joann's, HL will give you the greater of the discounts -- either the sale price or the 40% coupon (almost always available on-line), whichever is better. You have to present your coupon at the cutting table.

A big negative for me at HL is that their cash register system is not automated. Each item must be entered, which means longer lines and the potential for more error.

Dayle
I asked the clerk at a recently opened Hobby Lobby why they didn't have computer cash registers or scanners in the fabric department and she said, "the owner doesn't believe in them". This makes refunds and returns a nightmare. I later heard somewhere else it is because they think the bar codes are messages from the devil. That could be an urban myth but it sure bogs down the shopping process. I sure miss the days of old when the fabric and yarn departments were many times larger than they are now.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

I haven't gotten a poor quality fabric from Hobby Lobby yet!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

Most of what they carry is good quality. I am totally bored with them, tho, and don't even look there anymore. They rarely get new fabrics and just keep re-stocking the same prints forever.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 AM

They have Kona cottons - solids. Wish they had more quilting item.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 AM

I use HL fabric quite often and have always been happy with it. Sometimes you get some great buys on the clearance stuff although that seems to have slowed down a lot lately. The 40% coupons come in really handy. I like to buy several yards of solids or fabrics I use a lot to get the most out of my coupons. I have to drive quite a ways to get there so the 40% off of fabric helps pay for the gas expense. It's nice that Hancock fabrics is in the same shopping area so I can check out their sales too.