Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hobby Lobby >

Hobby Lobby

Hobby Lobby

Old 10-08-2014, 03:42 PM

To learn the whole story, if you are interested, Google Hobby Lobby health care controversy. If you add the name "Felicia Allen" you learn more specifics.
I had been to the stores in Kansas while visiting my DD, but recently they built a store near me. I don't feel good supporting the chain, but was recently given a $70 gift certificate for my birthday, so I'll use it. Their fabric department here is pretty small. One thing they do carry that is hard to get in this area is Hobbs batting which I do like very much. Their price for the king size, with the 40% coupon is hard to resist. I get that size so I can cut it up into various smaller sizes for charity quilts. They only carry one king batt at a time, so I call ahead before I go and ask them to hold it for me, as it's in a town 40 miles away and I don't go there very often.
If you plan to block me because my opinions differ from yours, that is really too bad. Your world gets very small if you only converse with those who totally agree with you. I was taught to respect everyone's opinion even if I disagree.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
Also, a lot of people don't really know the extent of the situation and say Hobby Lobby doesn't provide any xxx when in fact they do provide plenty of xxx. Just not every xxx available.
SERIOUSLY??? Your "facts" are not germane. we are not allowed to debate the political here or I would factually explain that they provided all the xxx BEFORE they decided to dabble in politics and that is not even touching on the the non science of their beliefs or the ugly and divisive precedents that have been set.

It seems every few months there is a thread on this board with effusive praise for HL. in the end the people who try to deal with facts get slammed down. is it a ploy? are there some here so desperate for an us vs them world that they have to keep regurgitating their love for HL with no respect for the truth or the knowledge of others? really what is this about?

Last edited by Pagzz; 10-08-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:05 AM

I have to say I am sorry to have started a political/religious thread on this board. I live 1 1/2 hrs from a city and was just happy to have found someplace else to buy good fabric a reasonable prices when I make the trip to the city.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
SERIOUSLY??? Your "facts" are not germane. we are not allowed to debate the political here or I would factually explain that they provided all the xxx BEFORE they decided to dabble in politics and that is not even touching on the the non science of their beliefs or the ugly and divisive precedents that have been set.
I don't care about what they did before. The fact is that they do not prohibit employees from doing what they want or believe in and do provide the means for all but 4 different types of xxx now. And science aside, I believe in what they believe in so I will continue to support them with my words and my dollars.

Ugly and divisive precedents were what put this all in motion. Not set by Hobby Lobby but by others who want more control.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by FURBALLS View Post
I have to say I am sorry to have started a political/religious thread on this board. I live 1 1/2 hrs from a city and was just happy to have found someplace else to buy good fabric a reasonable prices when I make the trip to the city.
I feel your pain, a little. I live about 30 min from a town but there isn't much there (and it's dwindling daily). I live about an hour from hobby lobby but of course we have to devote a whole day since that is also the only time I can go to target, kohls, sam's club, etc. If I want to go to Container Store (love that place), Costco, or anything like that I have to drive 2 hours. I love living out in the country but sometimes it sure is inconvenient!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:05 PM

I don't care about what they did before. The fact is that they do not prohibit employees from doing what they want or believe in and do provide the means for all but 4 different types of xxx now. And science aside, I believe in what they believe in so I will continue to support them with my words and my dollars.

Ugly and divisive precedents were what put this all in motion. Not set by Hobby Lobby but by others who want more control.
There you go again.

In 1970 at the age of 18 I became pregnant. I knew the “rhythm” method of preventing pregnancy but my 23 year old boyfriend wouldn’t take no for an answer. He left me one month later when I found out I was pregnant. I raised my baby by myself.

During the pregnancy women I met would take me aside and explain that they were lucky it hadn’t happened to them, or that they were pregnant when they got married. Some told me how to induce an abortion and I will never forget what I now know about coat hangers and rat tail combs. Overall during my young adulthood there was an outpouring from women showing that they understood.

I appreciate people who can have empathy and understanding. I object to people who post erroneous facts claiming to know why I and others object to HL.

You admit you don’t accept the science. How about this – let it rest.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:18 PM

On this site, in this context, the merits of HL as a fabric store and the quality of their products are at issue, NOT their politics. Political opinions are not expected or wanted here -- one has to be living under a rock in the outback not to know "what they stand for," and this is not the place to inform others.

Lest anyone think I am pro-HL, I am not. I have never shopped at a HL and I never will. I am strongly opposed to their practices (and yes, I am very well educated on what they are). BUT, I accept that the filter of whether their practices are moral or not has already been applied before a thread about them appears here, and I accept that the people who choose to continue shopping there are interested only in the quality of their products and services and do not believe as I believe.

In other words, political opinions are welcomed on other boards but are not at issue here. Let it go -- just here. And that goes both ways. <3
Old 10-09-2014, 07:03 PM

Also, a lot of people don't really know the extent of the situation and say Hobby Lobby doesn't provide any xxx when in fact they do provide plenty of xxx. Just not every xxx available.
Haleluyah!! finally someone who knows what she's talking about... new HL opening soon close by..
Old 10-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

I have a Hobby lobby a ways away but I have never been there..I will have to try it out...Thanks..