Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hobby Lobby vs Joann >

Hobby Lobby vs Joann

Hobby Lobby vs Joann

Old 10-30-2011, 05:32 PM

FYI, the Temecula store is now open.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:44 PM

I've noticed lately that HobbyLobby is running their 40% coupon every week instead of every other week.

Since I recently discovered Hancocks takes competitors coupons, I've used a few HL 40% coupons there. Last time I wanted a pack of king batting, which was already 30% off. They wouldn't take HL's 40% coupon. The clerk was quite nasty. I asked how hard it would be for her to ring up the batting at the regular price, then deduct the 40%. She said they just had a meeting about doing that and it was forbidden by corporate.

I doubted that, so I emailed corporate and asked. The guy who responded to my email (I'll not name him here) said yes, I could get the item rung up at regular price, then deduct 40%. They won't like me next time I go in to use a HL coupon. I don't like being lied to. Here is the fella's response. Bolding is mine:

Thank you for the information. We do take competitors coupons for
like items. There are some exclusions. You may take a item back to
the regular price and use the coupon.
If you have any trouble,
please speak to the manager of the store. They will be able to help
you.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by BigDog
I've noticed lately that HobbyLobby is running their 40% coupon every week instead of every other week.
I have to admit that I never really liked Hancock's for the same reason you just gave. The staff at the now closed store in Roanoke Va where I used to shop was always rude, clueless, or just lied to you. I wasn't sad when they closed. The Joann's that I used to go to at CrossRoads Mall had some older employees who were knowledgable and friendly. They were great!

Since I recently discovered Hancocks takes competitors coupons, I've used a few HL 40% coupons there. Last time I wanted a pack of king batting, which was already 30% off. They wouldn't take HL's 40% coupon. The clerk was quite nasty. I asked how hard it would be for her to ring up the batting at the regular price, then deduct the 40%. She said they just had a meeting about doing that and it was forbidden by corporate.

I doubted that, so I emailed corporate and asked. The guy who responded to my email (I'll not name him here) said yes, I could get the item rung up at regular price, then deduct 40%. They won't like me next time I go in to use a HL coupon. I don't like being lied to. Here is the fella's response. Bolding is mine:

If you have any trouble,
you.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BigDog View Post

If you have any trouble,
you.
I always ask at our hancock's if they will take a Hobby lobby or Joann coupon and the answer is always no.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:41 PM

At my area hobby lobby, you can only use the 40% off coupon on an already sale item IF you get the right sales person. This shouldn't be. I haven't complained YET.

Also, they write down all your fabric purchases and have to write down the price and percentage off. I can believe they haven't gone electronic yet with this.

I really miss our Hancock fabrics
Old 11-02-2011, 11:36 AM

My Hobby Lobby has a better quality of fabric then JoAnns, also always on sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mamatron View Post
Maybe we could have a quilting board meetup when the Temecula store opens?? Anyone interested?
I am up for it. I am just down the road from Temecula in San Diego County. I went to Hobby Lobby on Monday and the gal in the fabric department told me that "a whole bunch of quilters" had alreaddy come in and bought a lot of the fabric.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:41 AM

hobby lobby's are great. i don't have one in my area but, i've been to one while at my moms house. it's true they don't have a super large selection of fabric...but, the fabric they do carry is exclusive to them. so it's different fabric then you see at wal-mart and joanns. it's a nice change sometimes.