Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
holes from thumbtacks >

holes from thumbtacks

holes from thumbtacks

Old 08-19-2018, 08:08 PM

Default holes from thumbtacks

I just finished hand-quilting a quilt using wooden quilt frames and used thumbtacks to secure it to the boards. Usually I don't have any problems with thumbtacks, however, this time they have left some holes and it looks like the threads are broke so I can't just scratch it so they close. Maybe it is a higher thread count? Any suggestions on how to "seal" these holes so it won't fray, run, or rip? Many of the holes are too far from the edge so they won't be inside the binding. I was thinking maybe a touch of fabric glue on the inside or something similar? Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 08-19-2018, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by suebee3 View Post
I just finished hand-quilting a quilt using wooden quilt frames and used thumbtacks to secure it to the boards. Usually I don't have any problems with thumbtacks, however, this time they have left some holes and it looks like the threads are broke so I can't just scratch it so they close. Maybe it is a higher thread count? Any suggestions on how to "seal" these holes so it won't fray, run, or rip? Many of the holes are too far from the edge so they won't be inside the binding. I was thinking maybe a touch of fabric glue on the inside or something similar? Any suggestions are appreciated!
Have you sprayed a little water on the holes? That often does the trick. Be careful with any fabric glue--most dry very hard. There is one, but I always forget the name, but it does dry softer.

if they are close to the edge, is it possible to put a little lightweight fusible under the top (or back if that is where the holes are a problem) so that it stablizes but won't show?
Old 08-19-2018, 08:39 PM
Power Poster

Are they on the front or the backing? If on the back, I might add some appliqués.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:36 PM
Power Poster

Fray Block is the one that dries soft. (Fray Check is the one that dries harder.) I would line the holes with a fusible such as fusible nylon tricot and then be careful to add a little more quilting in those areas.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:21 AM

A little moisture should do the trick. I like the idea of Fray Block. I have Fray Check and need to toss it. Thanks Prism for explaining the difference. It I can just remember Block and quilting, I may not confuse the two again.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

There is a product called fuse it powder that I saw demoed at a quilt show. I haven't tried it myself. Here is a youtube on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E87CPfdbM9g

And here is a link to the product.
https://www.bonashstore.com/store/p2...arter_Kit.html
Old 08-20-2018, 04:50 AM

Just watched that Bo Nash powder video & it's amazing. I need to get some of that soon. Thanks for the link.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:36 AM

Great ideas! Thanks, everyone!
Old 08-21-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
Just watched that Bo Nash powder video & it's amazing. I need to get some of that soon. Thanks for the link.
Wouldn’t heat and bond light do the same thing? I just add an applique that follows the theme of the quilt.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:45 PM

I didn't know Fray Block was different either. Thank you.