Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Home ec sewing classes..do schools offer these anymore? >

Home ec sewing classes..do schools offer these anymore?

Home ec sewing classes..do schools offer these anymore?

Old 03-07-2014, 05:41 AM

I taught Home Economics for a number of years in the early sixties and felt very strongly that girls and boys need to have some of these life skills. Life doesn't stop if you cannot sew on a button, mend a seam, do laundry properly or prepare food. Knowing how to do will save lots of money and frustration if you can do them. Our current manufacturing climate gives us lots of poor products, foods and chemicals of all kinds in everything we use. Most of all, it dumbs us down and we harm ourselves by our ignorance of what is good for us. I am sure that Home Economics should be modernized to fit today's life-but students need accurate information.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:03 AM

I took Home Ec in Jr. High and HS in the 60's and LOVED it. I had great teachers, who taught relevant topics. I was in a college tract but managed to use all my electives to take Home Ec instead of study halls. My senior year we did tailoring. I followed my love and was a Home Economics major in college where we learned everything from chemistry to family budgeting. I have never been sorry.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:35 AM

I had Home Ec in middle school, but I didn't learn any "life skills" that carried me forward. Yes, we sewed and we cooked, but it was only over the course of half the school year, maybe enough to spark interest, but not enough to develop any skills. My mom taught me how to cook (she didn't sew); we five kids cleaned, did laundry, helped with cooking, etc. I have four brothers and they left the house knowing how to cook and do laundry. My husband's sister has five kids (16-24 yrs old) and not a one of them does laundry, cleans, or knows their way around a kitchen. That, to me, is just a sin. While I think it's great to have Home Ec classes, I also think we shouldn't expect our kids to learn these skills at school.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:40 AM

Just called the School I graduated from in 1973-- NOPE no Sewing classes.. Now its Family and Consumer Science with some classes called Healthy..? .+ and they do a little cooking... The lady laughed when I said it sure has changed since i was in school.. " She said they haven't offered that in Years".. Which is a shame because unless the Mothers/fathers teach their children how to sew -think of all the Garments discarded because of a loose hem or lost buttons... Sad to think that these Basic Skills will be lost over the generations and they will not have the satisfaction of choosing a fabric and pattern and making a blouse or Shirtor pants or skirt etc and feeling the sense of Pride at a job well done... that is why its important for children and teens to be taught these skills. My Girlfriend who is a quilter was going to offer a basic sewing class for kids but it never got off the ground ....What a Great Idea for Grandmothers , Mothers , Aunts, Sisters to get to gether with kids in the neighborhood and get a small class going every month...! ! ! !
Old 03-07-2014, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant View Post
I had Home Ec in middle school, but I didn't learn any "life skills" that carried me forward. Yes, we sewed and we cooked, but it was only over the course of half the school year, maybe enough to spark interest, but not enough to develop any skills. My mom taught me how to cook (she didn't sew); we five kids cleaned, did laundry, helped with cooking, etc. I have four brothers and they left the house knowing how to cook and do laundry. My husband's sister has five kids (16-24 yrs old) and not a one of them does laundry, cleans, or knows their way around a kitchen. That, to me, is just a sin. While I think it's great to have Home Ec classes, I also think we shouldn't expect our kids to learn these skills at school.
WE did much more than just cooking- we learned nutrition, menu planning, Baking, Canning and other cooking skills, Budgeting, First Aid, interior Decorating, Sewing, Fabric Care, + how to get out of the Home Ec Room when you have your pinned Dress on during a Fire Drill ( yep happened to me). We had little Quizzes, I learned how to set up a display in the Showcase in the Hall way- ran a little projector for the presentations etc... so much these kids are missing out on today...
Old 03-07-2014, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
When I talk to folks, it seems those who took the shop and Home Ec classes learned NOTHING, if they didn't already knwo a good bit of it from home.
I must have been very fortunate to have four different home ec teachers, junior high through high school.
All instilled a love of something creative in their own way. I thanked them all, and still think of them fondly.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:08 AM

Yes, we have sewing classes and cooking and shop in our high schools in Whitehorse. They aren't referred to as home economics, etc. but they are there. My daughter will be concentrating on a more in depth program for h r first semester next year. (she will be in grade 10) called FADS (fashion and design). The first semester for grades 10 and up is dedicated to those that want a more concentrated courseload in shop (they get to the point they make their own snowboards!), or cooking (they run the cafeteria for the rest of the term and handle catering for school functions, getting a food safe certificate is part of that program, MAD which is for the actors and FAD for the sewers.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:10 AM

Although it's a crying shame that home ec isn't offered anymore, I can honestly say I didn't learn much from the class when I took it, and remember less than that. And while my mother sewed/sews, I can't say that I learned much from her, as I have pretty much taught myself. Also, I've seen a resurgence of interest in sewing, so I don't think it's a "dying art" ... to the contrary I think it's making a comeback. Shows like Project Runway (which I've never watched myself) are garnering interest in sewing again.

All is not lost. :-) I think every generation thinks the younger generations are screwing up everything ... but eventually we all get "on board" and figure things out, for the most part.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:38 AM

I remember those classes. I knew how to sew by the time I got in the class so the teacher made me her helper. I helped the other students. And I remember baking biscuits. I was wondering about a home business teaching girls how to sew. Does anyone do that?
Old 03-07-2014, 08:09 AM

My youngest DD went to a very small high school and they could take Home Ec if they wanted to. Half of the year was cooking and the other was sewing. The teacher was a quilter (in real life) and asked the girls if they wanted to learn how to make simple clothes or quilts and the girls voted on quilts. The girls only wear T-shirts and jeans nowdays - so none of them wanted to learn how to make a cotton blouse or a cotton skirt, etc.

So, every year, for 4 years, my DD made a quilt top in Home Ec. When she was getting married, I took the quilt tops and had them machine quilted and gave them back to her at her wedding showers. She was thrilled and uses them daily. She has gone on to make many more quilt tops - and had them machine quilted for gifts, etc.