Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores? >

Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores?

Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores?

Old 12-13-2010, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by SuziC
You are only wasting your time if there is no enjoyment in what you are creating. You can buy anything in a store. But the caring and passion cannot be purchased. If your motives are True then you create Master Pieces!! That cannot be bought anywhere!!!
I agree with you SuziC, I like making things to give to family and friends Just because I want to. Some of those items in the shops do not last because the thread is weak and if they are made over seas think of the poor people who have to make them for cruel bosses. we need to do our best with what we have. I only buy fabric this Christmas because I do not have what I need in my stash.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:10 AM

I was getting ready to embrodiery on a towel from a big box store yesterday, wow, it was so off. I had to cut it down and resew it before I could even use it. Now it is much smaller, just goes to show me that store bought is not perfect either.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
I don't sew and quilt to save money. I do these projects because it is my hobby and I love doing them. I for one would rather have HM gifts anytime regardless of what the cost is. Most of my family and friends like the thought that I made this gift because I love them and love doing it for them!!!
A M E N!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:27 PM

I quilt because I enjoy it...of course when I make a gift for someone I am more excited about it then them. I love how I can try and put their personally in the quilts. I love how all the quilts are unique and its a hobby I love. People have no glue how much it costs to make quilts...I have had people ask me to donate my quilts...someday I will...but I have quite a few to make for my home and my family/ extended family. When people ask me to make quilts for their cause...they never even hint about providing the materials...I will make and donate but most likely to the causes that mean a lot to me...and when I finish the ones for my families...people have no glue it costs over 100.00 a quilt when using quilting fabrics from the local quilt shops.