Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
homemade spray starch >

homemade spray starch

homemade spray starch

Old 07-19-2013, 02:46 PM

Buy a 2 qt, bottle of Linit Starch. You will find a chart on the back so you can make what ever you need for what ever project.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by mamagrande View Post
one part Vodka to eight parts water and a few drops of lavender essence, (if you want some fragrance, I don't use it) It is not a starch but does give a little body to the fabric. anyway that is what I use.
I make the same mix but do add the lavender..smells so nice. At our guild quilt camp we always make a big batch and share it..call it the "Quilters Brew" LOL!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:53 PM

I am positively absolutely in love with Best Press after using up the smallest spray bottle of it, No flaky is the best...the smell is very gentle, and the fabric is so nice to touch afterwards. Just ordered a gallon. Will have to try the vodka recipe though.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:02 PM

WOW All those yummy recipes! I just follow Harriet Hargrave's advice (from her book Heirloom Machine Quilting), buy a packet of powdered starch (cheap as chips), mix three tablespoons in a 750ml cordial bottle with water, decant it into a fine mist kitchen spray bottle and voila. Works for me, use it all the time.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:08 PM

Funny! I don't have spirits in my house so your recipe is what I will use.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
My sister buys the liquid starch in the half-gallon jug, then dilutes it. I don't have the proportions, I just know she does it. Me, I'll buy the Niagara and the Best Press. I'd rather be quilting, and I don't have to worry about storing one more thing.

Francie, I don't drink alcohol, but I'll join you with a tall glass of iced tea!
I don't drink either, except tea and water, so I'll join you with a big glass of ice tea as well. I guess you call me a TEA totaller!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
I'd rather just drink the vodka,with a hint of vanilla flavor...then starching won't be a concern!LOL,
That's just what I was thinkin!!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:40 PM

I use 2Tbsp Potato Vodka to 1 cup Distilled Water and then add Fabric Softener to desired feel. For me I like my fabric a little crisper so I use a little more Vodka and add about 2-3 Tbsp of fabric Softener to 4 cups. I generally have lavender around. Moths don't like the smell of lavender and I do but unscented works just fine.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:49 PM

The original recipe for this is as follows: just remember all ingredients start with the number 2

2 oz vodka, (the vodka keeps the solution from separating - water and oil)
2 cups distilled water and
20 drops of lavender essential oils

My grandmother gave me this recipe many years ago, when I was first married in the 60's. Also makes your
house smell great on laundry/ironing day.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:49 AM

Really love the vodka starch, light on fabric not stiff, very nice and soft on fabric. The best press, crisp, makes
flat wonderful press and lines to cut, making measurements to cut better. No white flakes, starch build up o fabric or iron. I used to have to clean iron so much no more. no spots of build up on fabric or need to wash starch stiff out.