Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Spray Starch

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    I get the half gallon Sta Flo concentrated starch and mix 50/50 in a spray bottle.
    ditto

I buy the Niagra non-aerosal spray starch (in a spray bottle) at WalMart for under $2.00 for a 22oz. bottle and it works beautifully and has a fresh smell to it. (I also like the "Mary's" light purple spray they sell at Hancock's but it's $5.00 a bottle and also works nicely.)

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuilterChick
    I buy the Niagra non-aerosal spray starch (in a spray bottle) at WalMart for under $2.00 for a 22oz. bottle and it works beautifully and has a fresh smell to it. (I also like the "Mary's" light purple spray they sell at Hancock's but it's $5.00 a bottle and also works nicely.)
    Wowsa $5? I have been paying $7.50 for my Mary's at the local quilt shop. I am not a huge fan of starch, I don't like my projects to be "crisp", but I do like them to be very FLAT. I have been filling up my old bottles with water and I only use Mary's on a finished block. After that I just use a touch of water to keep things neat until I have a top...and I spray again lightly with Mary's. Trying to be conservative...I'm a stay at home Momma living on one income here! Lol*

I have heard of both the boiled cornstarch mixture as well as the vodka but haven't tried either yet. If you're a fan of Mary Ellen's Best Press what would be a good alternative to that? The vodka recipe?

Blog Entries
    Back in the day - when we did not get our ironing done we put it into the fridge for a day or two.

So, while we are talking about ironing, I am having trouble with the steam holes on my iron catching on the edge of my blocks and twisting them. Any ideas, Please?

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    I get the half gallon Sta Flo concentrated starch and mix 50/50 in a spray bottle.
    This is what I do. I like it because I can make it as strong or as light as I want it. I like a 5 to 1 mix better.
    A bottle of Sta Flo lasts a long time.

Blog Entries
    I will try some of the recipes. Wanted to try Mary's but refuse to pay the price. Thanks for all you who contributed your recipes.

I use the following recipe that was posted on this board about a month ago.

2 cups distilled water
    2 oz. vodka
    6-12 drops essential oils (I use lavender)
    1/3 cup liquid starch (I use Sta Flow)

Hint: I put it in a spray starch bottle that was empty.... (BPS). The sprayer is finer than empty bottles you buy. It works wonderfully.

If you make up only one spray bottlefull at a time AND add a tablespoon of rubbing alcohol, most any recipe should be safe from mold.

Vodka is an even better solution to mold problem!!! I'll use that next time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
    Anything that needs to be used within a week or two is probably not a good idea for me, LOL.
    I hear you! lol But if I know I only have a little starching to do, I make half a bottle. And really at pennies a batch, if I have to throw a bit out without using it, no problem! :D

I also love that my home made recipe is safe not only for me, but for the environment. I'm not a 'tree hugger', but I do try and do my part where and when I can. :D

I've never had a problem with mold. I use a 50/50 ratio and mix it in a large spray bottle. That spray bottle lasts me about a year. It molds?? I've never noticed a smell or floating things in it at all. My quilts don't come out different smelling or anything. I used the last of my current bottle last night and was getting ready to make some more. Should I add salt to it?? I just use stayflo and water.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
    can I still find that sprayer you put in the bottles? I really haven't looked for one, but would love to find one!
    They sell them in almost any store I have been in. Dollar, grocery, Walgreens, WM. All over the place!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I made the vodka mix and it doesn't make the fabric stiff at all. It's no better to me than using water so I probably won't make it again.
    Thanks for the heads up Gale. Now I won't have to waste the Vodka!! I prefer it with the water, sta flo and fabreeze. Works great for me.

I've been using Sta-Flo to mix my own for years.

I buy the concentrate and mix 1/2 starch 1/2 water to use when pressing fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by jamsbuying
    I buy the concentrate and mix 1/2 starch 1/2 water to use when pressing fabric.
    Thats what most of us do, the only difference is some of us like the smell of the Fabreeze in with it.

Okay, tell me why are you using spray starch. I wash my fabric, air dry on clothes line, then hand press to the stash. Press when I get ready to cut for piecing. Please educate me, have I been missing an opportunity?

Ok, here's my recipe--small glass of orange juice, splash or 2 of vodka, drink that, spray the fabric with whatever you happen to have sitting around, (windex, whatever) Enough orange juice, and everything will look GREAT! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mark Lipinksi has some great recipes at this website under Tulips tips....they are great to use!

I love the Mary Ellen's Best Press and it is a little expensive so when going to a workshop, I knew everybody there would be grabbing on to it so I simply diluted the stuff and found it works just as well that way. The nice fragrance is still there and it releases the wrinkles just like it's supposed to. Now I only use it full strength to stabilize my fabric before cutting a bunch of bias edges for triangles or before cutting out applique pieces.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dlux
    I love the Mary Ellen's Best Press and it is a little expensive so when going to a workshop, I knew everybody there would be grabbing on to it so I simply diluted the stuff and found it works just as well that way. The nice fragrance is still there and it releases the wrinkles just like it's supposed to. Now I only use it full strength to stabilize my fabric before cutting a bunch of bias edges for triangles or before cutting out applique pieces.
    I found this out as well! works great at 1 part ME-3 parts water!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I made the vodka mix and it doesn't make the fabric stiff at all. It's no better to me than using water so I probably won't make it again.
    Instead of vodka , I use alcoohol.

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I make mine..

1 c Staflo
    1c Febreeze- I love the Lavender scent
    1c Water..

mix well.. I have had it for a month at a time in my closet. I use it pretty quick tho, but so far No mold.. I even use a clean glass spaghetti jar for my starch..
    I am impressed with all of you! I am looking at this recipe and I have one thought. I was told at the quilt store of course, that you do not use startch but the product called "BEST PRESS" because this is not a sugar base, which can attract ants.

So what is the scoup?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    starch is NOT sugar based either...it is corn starch usually and can attract bugs, usually silver fish, not ants...

and they are just trying to push the best press...which does not work any better or worse than simple vodka water or spray sizing!

starch can also dull your needles, flake off into your machine, dull your rotary blades, cause your blocks to come out wonky, makes a mess of your iron, and so on....

either way, each person has his/her own preference I am sure!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie
    thanks so much, i'm tired of buying and 1/2 thru, it falling on the floor and the sprayer breaking off.
    or running out of propellant in the can and product left that you cannot use

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast