Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Honey.....Why do my good scissors smell like onions?? >

Honey.....Why do my good scissors smell like onions??

Honey.....Why do my good scissors smell like onions??

Old 02-15-2011, 05:27 PM

I can relate, my kids are grown but they will use what ever is available. I tie fabric to those they need to leave alone. Next time they get ruined I will make him buy my next pair, great idea.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:27 PM

Hilarious but I do feel your pain!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:02 PM

NEVER leave them out. I did ONE time recently....DH picked them up and cut the thick rubber used to weatherize the door from cold air coming in!!! Mine won't be in his reach again!!! And, he knew better.....after 50 yrs!!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:11 PM

enjoy reading what you all write, makes me smile
Old 02-15-2011, 07:06 PM

Once, when I was traveling in europe, my cousin found my sewing scissors, and used them for cutting canvas sacks.. I didn't even know he had them until he returned them, remarking how nice and sharp they were. He was amazed when I gave them to him as a gift!
Every so often I used to go to the dollar tree and buy 10 pairs of scissors with red handles. (My good scissors had other color handles) In a class situation, I would use a pair to cut fabric for three or four times, then when one of my quilter friends asked for quilting advice, I would send them home with her. They made good birthday presents too!....and loaners always!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 PM

With 4 kids and my DH my scissors lived every adventure, trimming the horses mane, cutting oilcloth and leather, plastic tubing and screen mesh. the other pairs were never good enough for them for the job they had, I could always replace them, in my husband family thereis a superstition, you never give any that cuts, they say that it cuts frienship even if you give a penny back. Another time I'll tell you about the saga of my sewing machine oil.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:21 PM

After haveing this problem at home I just told DH that If he needed them to keep them and went out and got myself a new,better pair. If you are crafty your cutting will show it. No Pun intended. Marvel
Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 PM

I keep extra ones {cheap ones}that are easy to find when needed and try not to leave my sewing ones out. They will get picked up and held until I look their way. Then they will pretend to start cutting something. They think it is funny to see my reaction.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
Years ago my husband used my good scissors to cut wires with. Man was I ticked off. He thought he was never going to live that one down. I told him he was replacing them. He said okay. So the next time we went to Walmart, I told him he was buying me a pair of scissors to replace the ones he "ruined". So we go to the scissor isle. I saw those fiskars softtouch ones (the grey ones with the orange thing you slide to lock them) and I said awwww there they are and I put them in my cart ($15), he grabbed them and said "thats not what your scissors looked like". I said "I know, now you will think twice about using my fabric scissors now won't you at $15 a whack".
The ones he ruined were only like $2.99. LOL

HAHAHAHAHA!! Hubby used mine to cut gaskets with that darned gasket goopy stuff on em. So He had to buy me a new pair, at the time he thought it was a good idea to buy me a pair of electric scissors, well that was until our grown girls who were children at the time of the electric scissor purchase ; cut up a few of his things !<GRIN> OOPs was all I could say as I laughed under my breath !
Old 02-15-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
Years ago my husband used my good scissors to cut wires with. Man was I ticked off. He thought he was never going to live that one down. I told him he was replacing them. He said okay. So the next time we went to Walmart, I told him he was buying me a pair of scissors to replace the ones he "ruined". So we go to the scissor isle. I saw those fiskars softtouch ones (the grey ones with the orange thing you slide to lock them) and I said awwww there they are and I put them in my cart ($15), he grabbed them and said "thats not what your scissors looked like". I said "I know, now you will think twice about using my fabric scissors now won't you at $15 a whack".
The ones he ruined were only like $2.99. LOL
My Dh or Ds used my Ginghers for cutting wire, course neither of them would confess. I now have a padlock on all the good scissors. :twisted: