Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hopefully, my last question about flannel >

Hopefully, my last question about flannel

Hopefully, my last question about flannel

Old 11-09-2017, 11:42 AM

Default Hopefully, my last question about flannel

I am ready to prepare flannel binding for my flannel quilt. I sewed quilt with 3/4 in seams. I'm assuming I should make the binding wider than the usual 2 1/2 in strips. BTW, it's a baby quilt. How wide should I make the binding on the quilt and how wide should I cut my strips? Thank you so much.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:02 PM

I haven't worked with flannel and there are a few variables to the answer. How wide do you want the finished binding?

What seam allowance do you use for sewing the binding onto the quilt? 1/4, 3/8 or somewhere in between?

I suggest doing a small sample size. Cut a sample binding at 3 inches and go from there. Easy to do so you get exactly what you want.

PS: I always read your name as RV's fan meaning you travel in an RV. LOL!
Old 11-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

The other variable to take into consideration ...... if you have blocks coming out to the binding, will a wider binding seam chop off any points in the blocks? or perhaps distort shapes? (eg. 2" finished square, would be narrower if a wider seam was made)
Old 11-09-2017, 03:10 PM

If you are going to use standard binding (2.5 inch strips) I would suggest hand quilting. I have used flannel binding on a couple of quilts. On one I hand quilted the binding. I did machine quilt the other and it was really too thick. I got it done, but not without a struggle. Now if I make a flannel quilt I use regular cotton fabric to bind-NOT flannel.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
I haven't worked with flannel and there are a few variables to the answer. How wide do you want the finished binding?

What seam allowance do you use for sewing the binding onto the quilt? 1/4, 3/8 or somewhere in between?

I suggest doing a small sample size. Cut a sample binding at 3 inches and go from there. Easy to do so you get exactly what you want.

PS: I always read your name as RV's fan meaning you travel in an RV. LOL!

My signature stands for A Ricky Van Shelton Fan. He is my all time favorite country singer, now retired.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:50 PM

I've made a couple of quilts with flannel and flannel binding and used 2.5" binding, sew on front by machine, back by hand with no problem at all.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:20 AM

I'd use regular cotton for binding. The flannel will be pretty thick and then I'd question how it will wear.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:11 AM

I use a 2-1/2" binding with a 1/4" seam. I have had no problems with my quilts and they have been washed. If you want to increase the seam width, you will have to add additional width to your binding. If you want to make a 3/4" seam, I believe that your width will need to be at least 3-1/2". Make a test piece, baste it on, and see if you like the look.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I've made a couple of quilts with flannel and flannel binding and used 2.5" binding, sew on front by machine, back by hand with no problem at all.
I do the same. It can get a bit bulky but I really don't have trouble. It seems to wear as well as ant other binding as far as I can tell.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Same for me...a 2.5 inch strip for the binding. Regular cotton pieced top with flannel backing fabric.