Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoping for some help from you!?

I would include the art quilts from oversea shows in Dubai and Japan for example. They seem to be to be a different type of art quilt than we usually see here in the states. Those are also photographic in their detail while most of the ones I have seen in the US seem more broadly graphic. I would definitely mention that quilting is not just an American hobby but definitely is global.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingquilter View Post
    Quilting offers other types of therapy as well, for people with disabilities in the manner of cognitive and occupational therapy. My daughter learned to quilt while recovering from a traumatic brain injury. It helped her re-learn to focus, plan and execute the plan through following a pattern, measuring, precision cutting, piece placement and symmetry, precision sewing and regaining a sense of self-worth. By the way she will be graduating from college on Mothers day. It's been a long, difficult journey, and I believe that quilting helped her see that anything can be accomplished taking it step by step.
    Wonderful story, thanks for sharing!!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I have to chime in with the Victorian crazy quilts? http://www.caron-net.com/featurefiles/featmay.html

Cindy Brick, Nancy Kirk, Judith Baker Montano are a few well know names.

I love the creative stitches and embellishments that this form affords. The project can be small or large as time allows and the spirit desires.

piney
    Last edited by pinecone; 05-08-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Banned
    For some statistics go to the web site for Quilts, Inc They do a study every two years of the status of quilting.
    I believe a summary is on their web site. Will give you the numbers and might make a good opening statement to your speech. Such as....There are now xxx million serious quilters in the US who spend xxx millions of dollars on their craft..........etc.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    We all doodle while taking notes, chatting on the phone, etc. Some zentangle illustrations would tie in quilting, art quilting, and mindless doodling.

I quilt because I think I have the quilt gene.....I have a quilt from every generation of my mother's family going back to my great grandmother to my grandaughter.......There is something in me that yearns to touch colors and fabric texture and sew them together in some kind of pattern----it soothes my heart and eases my soul......
    I know that sounds kind of gooey but it is better than therapy!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    Try this website for a very informative presentation about quilts - history, personal expression, art, politics, economics. It is much broader than many other sources.

http://www.whyquiltsmatter.org

I believe one of the episodes centered on traditional quilting vs. art quilting -- current controversy, what they have in common, definition of art, etc.

Dayle

too long and boring try STITCHED...must better!

I think quilting now is an outlet for stress reduction, creative expression as well as creating functional quilts, wall hangings etc to provide our homes with beautiful touches.
    good luck
    Kate

I would also give examples of large art displays of quilts like the one last year in New York of all the Red and White Quilts. There's the Quilt Museum in Paducah, KY. I would incorporate the historical significance of quilting and how it's recorded history.

I made a powerpoint of the History of Quilting that I used in my classroom as well for several community organizations and our quilt guild's biannual show. I would be glad to share it with you if you PM me your email.

Good Luck!!
    Karen in Kentucky

Sewing and quilting was once a necessity. It comprised a part of every woman's day. Quilting evolved from patches to intricate design. It became a means of artistic expression, connection with other women in political movements, ie temperance, abolition, and voting rights. Technology began to produce textiles in abundance. Quilting became a pastime, a hobby, some years very popular, such as in the thirties the economy was tight even for working people.

Technology has provided quilters with tools that make the pastime even less time consuming. There still is no need to produce bed coverings but the hunger for artistic expression remains.

I got an A in history based on the quilt and the paper that went with it. Good luck.
    Last edited by redmadder; 05-09-2012 at 03:34 AM. Reason: more info
    Vic Tori Ann Work Shop

Blog Entries
    Quilting is also a method of personal expression for me. Besides that, I feel the quilts I gift to my children/grandchildren are something personal from me that will last through the years, with reasonable care, and will remind them of me after I'm gone. I mean really, how many grandchildren visit tomb stones these days? And a beautiful, personally designed quilt is so much more meaningful and cheerful!
    Also, quilting is therapy for me - when I get too busy to sew for a while, I'm not too pleasant to live with!
    Quilting is also a history of our country. Just looking at some of the hand piece and quilted examples from past years, usually made with scraps of clothing of the era, is a history book in a blanket. While it was a task of necessity, it also was an expression of art, probably when there was next to no other way available for the beautiful women of yesterday who worked so hard every day.
    I just love quilting and quilts~!

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry I haven't read all the posts so this may be a repeat...but, what popped into my head when I saw your major was accounting was how much I hated math when I was in school (high school and college). If only I had known I was going to use so much math in my favorite, life long hobby of sewing which morphed into quilting several years ago.

Blog Entries
    My daughter had to take a make up math class one summer. I always took along the English Paper Piecing queen sized quilt I was working on when the kids were in class or sports and I had to wait. One particular day I was laying out all the pieces an the stone wall in front of the school where I was parked. Apparently the teacher looked out the second story window and called all the students over to witness math in real life. Boy was my daughter embarrassed! I never saw it coming!
    Debbie
    Machine It

If you are giving a speech, I think your topic of quilting is too broad. You could teach a whole semester on the topic! You need to narrow the field so it doesn't become "mush". Maybe you could demonstrate the tools of grandmother and the ones of today, explain the difference in the cost of a blanket and a quilt, the differences in fabrics, etc. But even these may be too broad. Narrow your topic and I think you will not have as much trouble with the process.

I am curious as to who your audience will be and the purpose of your speech. Will it be given to only accounting majors? Will you be convincing them quilting is a good hobby or a good industry to use their new accounting degrees? Are you wanting to show the impact of quilting in the fabric industry, small business shops, larger stores such as JoAnn's, i.e,, local community tax bases through quilt shows, quilt fabric shops? If your speech isn't tied into accounting then what is the reason for it? Or is this just for another class that you had to take and any subject will do?

Lots of good ideas expressed here. Here's another one: During the Civil War there were numerous quilt guilds that made quilts for soldiers. Each soldier had a quilt to use as a bedroll, a backpack to carry his mess kit, ammo, and other items, and, if he was killed in battle, he was rolled up and buried in it. Guilds made over 250,000 quilts for soldiers. The reason there are so few quilts left from that time is that they were in bad condition and falling apart at the end of the war. Today guilds make quilts for hospitals, nursing homes, overseas aid, fund raising and for wounded soldiers.

I think the uplifting of quilting from "just women's work" or "something your grandmother does" to being seen as an actual art form partly came from the women's movement of the 60s and 70s. When society became more aware of the value of "women's work" and women themselves began to see the value of their work, they could see that quilting is an artistic outlet just like painting or sculpting. And just like painting or sculpting, there is equal value in traditional patterns and more modern designs. We're all artists and we rock.

you should also include the hours of math and geometry and color
    matching that goes on. maybe include the REAL cost of a quilt-hours
    cutting,designing, sewing, cost of materials, ironing, matching seams...
    the cat won't let me go to the bathroom by myself and then invites the dog to watch to!!

You could do an entire presentation just showing the "evolution" and/or different incarnations of the lowly 9 patch block. I don't know how many people will be in attendance but you could give everyone a cut up D9P block to "play with" to show how quilting is "food for the mind" as well as wonderful creative therapy.

Congratulations on your degree and in accounting, too! WOW! If I were you I would concentrate on how this art form has evolved from something our grandmothers did not only to express themselves, but also as a way to use every scrap of fabric they could salvage, into a multi-billion dollar a year business with hundreds of inventors dedicated to creating useful tools for quilters, thousands of quilt shop entrepreneurs, who knows how many fabric designers, conflicts over copyright law, etc. Good luck. froggyintexas

Quote Originally Posted by michelehuston View Post
    I am in my final quarter of college and will have my degree in accounting in 5 weeks! Yay! My problem lies in the fact that I have been trying to fo an informative speech for a week now and my brain is so fried that I cannot even form correct thoughts! I am doing my speech on quilting and how it is not just something 'your grandmother used to do' but how it has become an art form as well. Can anyone toss a couple ideas, a few sentences that I can use to help demonstrate where I am coming from. Like I said, my brain is mush! Six months ago this would have been easy, but this last quarter has really pushed me beyond limits! I just need a month in my sewing room to get back to normal. Thank you all in advance!!!

Check out some of the blogs by younger quilters: Leah Day, Generation Q, etc.

look into the Dear Jane book.....Jane Stickle----her quilt of many 4 1/2" blocks, each different.....all the math this woman had to know to design all those blocks without the help of EQ or even a quilting bee........and it has endured these many years...but little is known of the person who did the work......just think about that...wow!!!!Makes us all humble and introspective.

My grandmother quilted because of necessity with a large family and very little money, most of her quilts were made from old cloths she could cut the good parts out to use in quilts. I always felt close to her quilts when I would see parts of clothing that belonged to our family. These quilts held the essence of our family. Quilts have evolved like everything else, where we have themes, colors and ideas of our creativity thoughts which is now art.

Here's a thought...art is everywhere and it won't be denied. Quilters were making essential items for themselves and their families...warm blankets. But where there are people and materials there will be art. They could have thrown the materials together any which way if all they were after was a warm blanket. But our artistic nature will not be denied. So while the physical need for warmth was met, so was the spiritual need for beauty, complexity and individuality.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Quote Originally Posted by michelehuston View Post
    Thank you both so much!!! They are both great, and lorrainne, it is exactly what I was looking for!!!
    For me, after losing so many people in a very short time, losing myself in a quilt project actually became my therapy. I cried along with many stitches. Then quilting took me to a "happy place" til the tears stopped. Quilting can be more than putting pcs. of fabric together. It also helped me sleep since I'd force my mind to think about my project & where I was in the process instead of the sadness.

Don't know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for but it worked for me.

Congrats on finishing school. Been there. Took me 5 yrs. to become a 2 yr. RN having to begin by taking one class at a time. Thankfully I had a very supportive husb.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast