Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hoping someone can help me with a little confusion...

Blog Entries
    If you can't back stitch with your walking foot then just shorten the stitch length when you get about a half inch from the end and stitch with the shortened length about another half inch over the beginning.

Several women I know stitch their bindings on by machine. They start by sewing the binding to the back and turning it forward, mitering the corners, it's a good To use the same color thread as your binding.

cjr
    This is what works for me. I avoid quilt police. I sew my binding on back, turn & machine stitch on front. My theory is it matches rest of quilting. I make quilts for use.So far no one has complained

Blog Entries
    Isew binding on both sides on the machine. My method for binding on the machine is simple. I want to make sure the stitching shows in the proper place on both sides. I use the longest basting stitch to start, if not correct, remove the portion that is wrong, correct then stitch with a beautiful scalloped stitch with scallop edge facving the edge. Makes a beautiful edge decor.

I have a Janome 6600 and reverse stitch (plain stitching) with my walking foot all the time without issue. I do find the walking foot doesn't work if I am doing the fancy stitches so I have to switch the feet then. I machine sew my binding to the back and then again on the front, so I have more control over the look of the final stitching. I am not a fan of hand stitching...takes too long for me!

Blog Entries
    Overall it is NOT necessary to backstitch at the end of any seam in a quilt. Virtually all seams are stitched over by another seam. The quilting lines can be secured by the "stitch in place" method, which is what I do. For binding I do backstitch 1 or 2 stitches only. I sew the binding onto the front of the quilt, turn it to the back and hand sew it down. I like how you cannot see a stitch line on the binding.

Blog Entries
    I've had my generic walking foot for about 15 years and I back stitch with it all the time.

I sew my binding on the front and hand stitch to the back because I suck when it comes to sewing it on the front.

I drop the stitch length down to almost zero, take 5 stitches and then readjust stitch length back to normal. Do the same at end to secure. Works well.

Blog Entries
    You don't have to reverse stitch to lock stitches, just reduce the stitch lengh to tiny stitches. Mine basically stitches in place when I do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kieffer
    Hi everyone! I have a couple of things that have me "thoroughly" confused! I was told by an employee at a LQS that I could NOT reverse stitch with my walking foot or it would cause serious damage to my machine, so I haven't been securing any of my stitches..., my very first quilt is almost finished, and now will probably fall apart in the wash! LOL! And my second issue is, I've been watching several You Tube videos on binding, and some bind from the front and some from the back...I want to machine bind mine on both sides....which do you think is best? Thanks to all who can offer a little expertise! Chris

I had never heard about not reversing with a walking foot, thank you. Early on, when learning about quilting, somebody told me that if your seam will be crossed by another seam, backstitching in not necessary. Makes sense to me and I've been doing it that way ever since.
    When we sewed on my mother's old singer, we always secured the seams by stitching off the end and then lifting the foot and sliding it back and stitching to the end again. When we got a machine that reversed, we felt like we had moved uptown. Now we all have computerized machines and are in seventh heaven. What an explosion of technology in my lifetime!!!

Lazy me. I sew binding on the back first, turn to the front and machine stitch it on the top too. Lately, I have been using some fancy stitches instead of just straight stitch and it does look better, like you meant to be fancy, not lazy.

Blog Entries
    I have a Bernina 1130 and a walking foot on it and I can reverse sew and it has never damaged anything.

I can and do backstitch with my Singer Schoolastic when using the walking foot.

Regarding quilt binding, the customary way is to sew the binding to the front of the quilt, bring it to the back and hand stitch it down. However, because of problems with my hands, I have learned to stitch the binding to the back of the quilt, bring it to the front and stitch it down on the machine.

I don't backstitch when piecing my quilts, and I don't use the small stitches idea either--I just chain stitch pieces as much as I can and clip the connecting threads in the middle, which leaves a little thread sticking out on each piece. I use my walking foot for piecing quilts and for most of my other sewing, because I then have less problem with the top fabric shifting forward a little.

I have a Bernina machine and walking foot, and no one ever mentioned that I shouldn't backstitch, so I do it when making garments.

I apply bindings by machine by stitching them to the front of the quilts (using that walking foot) and after turning them to the back, stitching in the ditch from the front. They do not always look even on the back, but I don't worry about it. I cut 2-1/2 inch strips for bindings, and use a generous 1/4 inch seam to apply to the front of the quilts.

My machine has a button that does about 5 stitches in one place when it's pressed. (Locking stitch)

OK........then I have a question that I hope y'all will answer for me. I am a new quilter, and a quilting friend told me it's not necessary to secure the seams when piecing.

Did I not understand this correctly? Please advise asap! Thanks.

Thanks you for the information, I had no idea you may not be able to reverse stitch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skeetersmom
    OK........then I have a question that I hope y'all will answer for me. I am a new quilter, and a quilting friend told me it's not necessary to secure the seams when piecing.

Did I not understand this correctly? Please advise asap! Thanks.
    No, when quilting you DO NOT need to lock the starting and ending stitching, because you will be joining all these pieces together and then quilting it all down. They will NOT come unstitched. I do a lot of chain piecing and just run from one piece to the next without locking the stitching. Remember this is not apparel that will be stretched and twisted during use. You have many layers of seams all fastened together. It is a real time saver, if you add up all those seconds used to lock stitch each piece.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justlooking
    Thanks you for the information, I had no idea you may not be able to reverse stitch.
    If you have a newer machine with a walking foot, you can use the fancy stitches on it, and most of them do some walking backwards to make the stitich. My Vikings don't have these limitations. Check your manual and the directions that come with the walking foot.

Can you at the end of seam, raise the foot and turn the wheel a few times that locks it too I have been told.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kieffer
    Hi everyone! I have a couple of things that have me "thoroughly" confused! I was told by an employee at a LQS that I could NOT reverse stitch with my walking foot or it would cause serious damage to my machine, so I haven't been securing any of my stitches..., my very first quilt is almost finished, and now will probably fall apart in the wash! LOL! And my second issue is, I've been watching several You Tube videos on binding, and some bind from the front and some from the back...I want to machine bind mine on both sides....which do you think is best? Thanks to all who can offer a little expertise! Chris
    Don't know about the walking foot but you can do as F&P have shown in their show....have the fabric turned the opposite way you would sew...sew about a half inch or so from the end and then turn around the right way and sew as usual...

In the first place the person at your LQS has no idea what machine you have and also they are not the expert about it. I have a built in walking foot on my Pfaff and I go in reverse all the time. Call you local machine repair shop that handles your brand and ask them about this. I have never heard this before. Jan

Blog Entries
    I put pressure on the fabric at beginning and end with walking foot and stitch about 2/4 times in the same place. that secures it well enough..I do not reverse my W.F.

Start from the back if you are machine binding. When you finish on the front you can use a fancy stitch for the last stitch on the front if you want. WHEN you stitch the front be vaaarrry carefull to Pin, Pin, Pin before you start to stitch so the binding looks even when you are done. The reason that you can't go backwards is that the walking foot is not made to go in reverse ( assuming you have a standard walking foot and not a built in one). You can also decrease the stitch size at the beginning and at the end of the stitching to lock your stitches.

Thanks so much everyone! Your knowledge is so appreciated!
    Chris

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast