Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hopping Ruler Quilting Foot >

Hopping Ruler Quilting Foot

Hopping Ruler Quilting Foot

Old 01-05-2022, 05:17 AM

Question Hopping Ruler Quilting Foot

I have the low shank Westlee ruler foot for ruler quilting and, while I enjoy using it, I wish it didn't float over the quilt. I find it gets caught on seams and I have to continually adjust the foot height. Does any company make a hopping ruler foot for a domestic low shank machine?

Or does anyone have any tips and tricks for quilting with rulers over seams?
Old 01-05-2022, 05:50 AM

The ruler foot is made so that it is to glide just above the fabric the quilt. It shouldn't be touching the fabric, so that the quilt is easily able to be moved in the direction needed to do the design.

I use these for quilting as well, and it helps that I hold the fabric taut with my hands as I hold the ruler down on the fabric. If you are constantly having it catch on seam ridges, you probably will need to either hold the fabric a little taut, or raise the over all height of your ruler foot so that you are not constantly having to readjust it.

There is a somewhat fine line in having it too low or too high. Too low and it catches on seam ridges or causes them to catch the fabric and sew a fold over for a couple of stitches, and too high, it causes skipped stitches when the fabric bounces or the movement is off.

My best advice is to find that sweet spot while holding the fabric taut, with keeping the ruler foot at a workable height. Then if you get to a higher or thicker seam ridge, slow down more and hold that part down better until you get over the ridge.

Last edited by berrynice; 01-05-2022 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:40 AM

Thank you, berrynice. I will certainly try these tips. I have probably been using my foot a little too low. It's all a learning curve so I appreciate your advice.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

You do not want a hopping ruler foot or your ruler will slip under and get hit by the needle. I have an adjustable ruler foot on my Bernina and I do have to find the sweet spot. Too low and it doesn’t let me move the fabric sandwich well, too high and it won’t form a proper stitch or skip a stitch.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:38 AM

What kind of machine do you have?

The "hop" is generally built into the sewing machine. You can watch from the side of your machine to see if your presser foot hops upward as the needle goes up.

On my Bernina 590, I have to adjust the presser foot height setting to "0" so it won't hop while I'm using my ruler foot.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:02 PM

you are welcome, glad I could help!
Old 01-06-2022, 04:46 AM

I find too that slowing down as you approach a bulky seam really helps.