Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Horrible Quilting Class >

Horrible Quilting Class

Horrible Quilting Class

Old 11-08-2010, 08:10 AM

I think it is like working with anybody. My one friend and I can get tons done. When we add another friend or two,it actually slows us down, although it is more fun.

I prefer classes that teach me something and let me practice it once or twice in class. Then I go home and actually do the making.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:03 AM
dls

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I have only had one class I did not enjoy but even then I learned something I didn't know before.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:08 PM

As a retired teacher I will advise the following:
1. Humor and plenty of it!
2. Realization that each person has their own talent.
3. Help from not only the instructor but each other.
4. Small and manageable size.
5. If beginners very simple blocks.
6. If experienced more challenging blocks.
7. Share triumphs and do-overs.
8. Offer suggestions, not your way only.
9. Encourage fellowship but keep focus on sewing. - Big problem :(
10. Bring snacks to share at breaks, have coffee and tea handy.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:58 PM

I am new to quilting, and took a class which was for only 6 students at our library which was free. I have to say that I learned a lot. One was how to bind my table topper. My teacher came to each of us individually and asked of we had any questions or if she could help us in any way. I have to also have to mention that this class was free, the best ever. We all were very grateful that she took the time to teach us how to do things that we didn't know how to do. There were some there who barely knew how to use their machine, but got the same attention as every one else. I can't thank her enough to take time out of her busy schedule to spend three 3 hours of her nite once a week for a month. she even had a second class for those of us who wanted the second class, which I did.
I'm so sorry that some of you have had such a bad experience and I hope that you won't give up on getting the help that all of newbie's seem to crave. After all quilting is so addicting and we want to know all that we can.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

Just to verify - the instructor and the owner were one and the same person?

If so, perhaps the whole intent was to be an informercial?

Did the women with the expensive machines buy the products/fabrics that were being "featured"?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:19 AM

Yes the instructor was the owner and no the rich ladies did not buy much.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:30 AM

That's sad to hear. I have been very lucky with quilting classes in my area, but then I only take a class if I'm familiar with the quilt shop. We have a great shop here in Connecticut that I would recommend to anyone. Lots of help and no pressure. You can even bring in your own materials.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I think there is extremes on both sides. I have been to classes where a sewer hadn't changed needles in her machine in years or will use a rotary blade so dull she would have to use scissors to cut the gaps. And be proud of the fact she didn't waste money buying new all the time. The same sewer won't buy the quilt book for the class or the specialty ruler if any. She will 'borrow' from someone. I am frugal but cheap is not my style or my type of person to be around.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by egagnon291
That's sad to hear. I have been very lucky with quilting classes in my area, but then I only take a class if I'm familiar with the quilt shop. We have a great shop here in Connecticut that I would recommend to anyone. Lots of help and no pressure. You can even bring in your own materials.
I think that good classes are far more common than bad ones, perhaps because shops with bad classes don't stay in business that long. I have never seen one where we could not bring in our own fabrics. One local shop does give a reduction in class fees if you purchase the supplies from them, but most seem to expect that you will show up with your own supplies, from whatever source. Is that not the norm everywhere?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I think there is extremes on both sides. I have been to classes where a sewer hadn't changed needles in her machine in years or will use a rotary blade so dull she would have to use scissors to cut the gaps. And be proud of the fact she didn't waste money buying new all the time. The same sewer won't buy the quilt book for the class or the specialty ruler if any. She will 'borrow' from someone. I am frugal but cheap is not my style or my type of person to be around.
I agree, I am also frugal but not cheap. Usually the instructor insists on ownership of the book/pattern to avoid copyright infringement (and also because book/pattern sales are a big source of revenue for the shop).

I've also been in several classes where one quilter would insist on using her method, rather than the method the instructor was teaching, even though learning that new method was the whole point of the class.

Your quilter with the dull rotary blade will probably cut herself eventually, because you have to press so hard with the dull blade that you don't have as much control over where the cutter goes. I wonder if she realizes how much easier and more accurate cutting with a sharp blade really is.

I have also been in classes where the quilter brought a new machine (and didn't know how to operate it), forgot the bobbin case (or foot pedal or electrical cord or something else), didn't know how to thread the machine, etc. In fact I've shown up for a class with a machine I hadn't used for a while and had to refer to the manual to thread it (but in my defense, I did bring the the manual to class with me, and I showed up early to get set up).

So... I guess the moral of this is that sometimes it's the quilters, rather than the shop owner, who is to blame for bad behavior in a class.