Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hos do i glue baste???? >

hos do i glue baste????

hos do i glue baste????

Old 03-13-2013, 02:56 AM

Has anyone diluted it with water and put it into a spray bottle? Just an idea......
Old 03-13-2013, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by schoolteacher View Post
Has anyone diluted it with water and put it into a spray bottle? Just an idea......
I tried it, but couldn't seem to get the mixture right. Just dribbled or wouldn't spray. Went back to just spreading it from the bottle where I needed it.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Not the blue kind, the standard white kind that says "washable" is the one you want. (The blue might work too, I don't know; but the white kind definitely does)

I actually glue basted a king size quilt this past weekend - first time I've used it for the quilt sandwich rather than just for binding. I taped down my backing fabric on the floor, laid out the batting then folded half back and drizzled glue all over. Spread down that half of the batting, repeated for the other half. Then laid out the top, folded half back, drizzled glue, smooth down, repeat for the other half. Then I just let it lay there for a half-hour or so and then sewed it all up! Worked great, except I used a bit too much and it soaked through a little and left little hazy dots on my floor, LOL. But no worries...came right up with a damp mop (it's a laminate floor - would have been worse if it were carpet but still wouldn't have caused any permanent harm). I didn't notice the glue in the quilt at all when I was sewing and I know there were a few spots that got sort of big blobs.

For that huge quilt (it's a full 10 feet square) I used about half of a 4-oz bottle of glue. I stood on the quilt and just drizzled a fine stream in random loops and swirls. Worked great!

Yes, thank you for the verbal tute!!! I found 2 bottle of Elmer's school clue in my cabinet and hope to try your method later this week.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:22 AM
Banned

Thanks for the tute! I didn't know how to do it either!
Old 03-13-2013, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

I do it like Sewnoma too. Has worked great so far.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

When school times starts this next fall, the washable glue will be about .25 a bottle. I buy a dozens at a time. I use glue about as much as thread. I have diluted it to spray but it will burn very fast when ironing.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:25 AM

I Love Elmers! I just discovered how easy it is to use instead of pins. I also think it makes seam matching easier and more accurate. I am planning on stocking up around back to school time.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 AM

lynnie- here's a recent thread toot:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...e-t208057.html
Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 AM

The gallon jugs are available at places like Office Depot, Office Max and Staples.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 AM

I am not sure where I read about using Elmers Washable School and not sure exactly when I decided to give it a try. But it is the most Fabulous and Valuable item I use with quilting now. First off, from my own personal experience if you buy a different washable glue, try it on fabric that you can throw away....my ironing board cover was stained and the applique I was using had to be thrown away. With Elmers I have never had any issues.

I do not use a special tip, just takes some practice and experimenting to figure out that you only need a pin sized amount spaced anywhere from half an inch to an inch apart. Each person will discover their own "comfort" zone with spacing. I like to place the glue dots right along the edge of the fabric, place my binding piece on top and line it up, then press with a hot, dry iron for a few seconds. Moving on down the material. You can also just let it dry naturally, but that takes to long for me. LOL.
I also like to use it for applique. I like to use starch for turning under the seams and then place a few dots of glue onto the applique back seam, lay it in place and then use the iron and press till dry. If it is not where you really want it, either spritz with water or just gently pry it apart. So much simpler than using pins!!!
With basting, I like to do half and half. Get your backing laid out just like for thread basting, lay your batting on top and smooth everything flat. Then I take and fold the batting downward about half way and just start placing a small dot of glue every place you would normally pin or take a basting stitch. Again, just a small amount of glue is needed. Then, I like to gently go over pressing to dry the glue with an iron, but I have also just let it dry naturally. After your backing fabric and batting are dry. Then I do the top the same way. Some people apply the glue to the batting also. Either way works.
The main key is to remember it only takes a tiny amount of glue. Once you are finished stitching, quilting it will wash away in the washing machine.