Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hospice quilts made for prisoners by prisoners >

Hospice quilts made for prisoners by prisoners

Hospice quilts made for prisoners by prisoners

Old 07-29-2011, 07:05 AM

This compelling, insightful documentary gave meaning to life in a way I've not thought about before. I was touched by the love, compassion, caring and support that these inmates bestowed upon their dying fellow inmates. The Hospice volunteers helped to provide dignity in dying and as a result their lives were changed through death.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:40 AM

I'm glad as I'm all for prisons being more self sufficient and helping each other. They would learn to work together for the good. Would boost self esteem and less violence!!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by hannajo
Is anyone else watching this documentary on OWN network? It's called "Serving Life." It's about Angola prison in Louisiana. It profiles the hospice in the prison which serves inmates who are serving life sentences. The men who take care of these patients are also prisoners who volunteer their service to them.

But some of these volunteers also make quilts to cover the caskets of their fellow prisoners. It's pretty amazing to see these guys convicted of murder and robbery being so tender to the sick and then working a sewing machine. I just did a quick google and found a few pictures:
http://gracebeforedying.org/exhibtion.html
I watched it last night.Prisoners do have hearts.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:37 AM

Some prisoners do have hearts and some are just doing time for their mistakes. HOWEVER, I work in a max. security prison in accounting and my husband is a Captain and I know at our prison you cannot just send in fabric and most everything has to come in brand new from a company and there are security reasons for that. I would suggest that you contact the prison and ask first. Do not be upset by any reply in the negative as there is always a reason for it and they are not just being mean. There is such a small percentage that would use the items for good and a larger that do not. I have seen, heard, and know things I never would have thought of in the past as being dangerous I now know are in the right hands.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

I dont get OWN but just looked at the pics you posted. The prisoners do some beautiful work and look at their faces. Real pride in what they do. Glad they found some meaning in their life.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:26 PM

I just watched the whole show and found it fascinating. It really touched me. The fact that these "hardened" prisoners are caring for each other and making quilts really makes one stop and think!

Then it got me to thinking. I wonder where they get the fabric for these quilts? I was wondering if there was some type of donation program? I did a google search and couldn't find anything. If anyone on here finds something I would certainly be interested in donating fabric for these quilts!
Old 07-30-2011, 04:18 PM

A wonderful and moving story.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:08 PM

It must be re-running tonight as I am watching this right now. I think it is a great show. Amazing what goes on in prisons that we don't even realize.