Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Some of my Hospice Lap Quilts

People always seem amazed when I show them my quilts and they find out I donate them. I was even asked if Hospice bought the fabric and/or thread. Of course my answer is "no". As to why I make at least a dozen quilts a year and donate them - my family (and me) already has all they need at this time and I still want to quilt. I don't need a specific person to quilt for - I just enjoy the freedom of chosing my own colors, pattern, etc. BTW - a lot of these are my own designs. I start by using up some scraps or something that didn't work in another quilt - and it "tells me" what I need to do next.

Stars Stars
    Name:  Attachment-244773.jpe
Views: 379
Size:  89.8 KB

Manly Stars
    Name:  Attachment-244774.jpe
Views: 327
Size:  76.2 KB

In & Out
    Name:  Attachment-244775.jpe
Views: 282
Size:  62.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Very pretty, awesome job on all three quilts.

Beautiful!

Very nice quilts!!

Blog Entries
    My best friend just passed away at a nursing home. She had been given a basket from Hospice and there was a small quilt that she used on her bed every single day - it was bright colored. So, what a wonderful thing for you to do.

What size do you make them?

Banned
    Your quilts are great. And I really like how you described how you choose what works and what doesn't for quilt colors by letting the quilt "tell" you.

Beautiful and cheerful!

My lap quilts are various sizes. I've made as large as 48 x 60 (not really a lap quilt) and the smallest was 36 x 36. I wasn't sure that small one would work at all - however, it was the first one given out the year I donated it (along with 11 others). Most are around 48 x 42 - so I can do the backing with one piece of fabric.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I LOVE all your quilts. I know they are a true Blessing to the people that receive them as are you!

Beautiful quilts and kind gesture!

Your quilts are beautiful. Thank you for donating to Hospice. My mother spent her last weeks in one of their facilities and I cannot think of a worthier cause. I'm certain your quilts go on to be a cherished possession of a family who will always remember the kindness of a stranger to their loved one. God bless you.

Thank you for restoring my faith in donated quilts. I think that even though something is donated it does not have to be ugly or whatever leftovers you have that you don't throw away. Thank you. Your quilts are beautiful but not as beautiful as your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by quilterbabe
    People always seem amazed when I show them my quilts and they find out I donate them. I was even asked if Hospice bought the fabric and/or thread. Of course my answer is "no". As to why I make at least a dozen quilts a year and donate them - my family (and me) already has all they need at this time and I still want to quilt. I don't need a specific person to quilt for - I just enjoy the freedom of chosing my own colors, pattern, etc. BTW - a lot of these are my own designs. I start by using up some scraps or something that didn't work in another quilt - and it "tells me" what I need to do next.
    Do you put a label on them for Hospice and if so, what do you include?

Blog Entries
    Each one is prettier than the last....Beautiful quilts and a beautiful caring person you are!:)

Beautiful quilts and wonderful of you to donate.

oh these all are so beautiful!! I'm sure the family gets much comfort from these quilts for many many years. My Mother spent the last weeks of her life in Hospice, it is truly an amazing organization. We placed a quilt on her casket at the time of viewing and also when it was moved to the chapel for services. I kept them quilt and I hold it very near and dear to my heart.

My Mother was very much like you, she liked to quilt, make her own patterns, pick out the fabrics and do it "just because" - she was always giving away baby quilts. That was her favorite thing to make. Any time she would see a blue or pink bow on a mailbox or door in our neighborhood she would rush home and get busy :)

I do put a label on them....but nothing personal (like who made it, the date etc.) Hospice always ties a label to donated quilts that says "Donated by a Fairview Hospice Volunteer". I make all my quilt labels on my embroidery machine. I wanted to add something of my own (without being austenasious) and include their words so they didn't have to do a thing once they got my quilts. My labels are all different designs, but always say: "Made with Love and Donated by a Fairview Hospice Volunteer".

Blog Entries
    What is the purple on called looks like a Trip around the World? I really like it but they are all beautiful and that is something that I am starting to do.

My sister works in Home Health Care in the same building as Hospice so once in a while I get feedback from a client's reaction or the reason a certain quilt was given to a particular person. When I heard feedback I want to immediately run to my machine and start sewing. I am honored to say - only the senior staff at Hospice is allowed to give out my quilts and they are matched to a client based on "color", or "theme", or "fabric" (one lady loved roses and I had rose fabric in one of the quilts. Because of their disserning way of doing it, it takes just about 1 year to give out all the quilts ... and then I donate another dozen.

Wonderful quilts and isn't it a great feeling to make something for someone who never expected something homemade.

Quote Originally Posted by jean1941
    What is the purple on called looks like a Trip around the World? I really like it but they are all beautiful and that is something that I am starting to do.
    I believe the one you are talking about has the purple and white border. That was done on a fusible foundation fabric and I used 425 two-inch squares (scraps left from other projects). I tried to have "something" unique about it so put the heart in the middle surrounded by scraps. That quilt was 48 X 60 if I remember correctly and used tons of black fusible bias tape - which we all know still has to be sewing down to be permanent. I didn't want any edges of any pieces to pop out, so after it was all finished, I did a very tiny zig zag right next to the black bias so the edge of every 2" square was secured down. There is no "pattern" for this - I just created as I went. I used to name the quilts (just for my records - I keep a photo album) but stopped doing that when I started having trouble naming them.

Blog Entries
    Awesome!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful! Wonderful job to help people!

love them all

They are all beautiful. Bless you for doing this. I know they are appreciated and well loved.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast