Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lap quilts for Hospice

Lap quilts for Hospice

Ladies and Gentlemen, I've just seen a post on Facebook from Hospice that they need lap quilts or blankets. There is no more worthy organization than Hospice. My family has been the beneficiary of their kindness several times in our darkest hours.

I want to challenge everyone to please consider donating at least one (or more) no sew fleece blanket or a lap quilt to your local Hospice. Use your scraps or unwanted fabrics, even orphan blocks. It doesn't have to be fancy, just something to give some comfort to someone at the end of their time here. I know Quilters have big hearts.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

Blog Entries
    is this a challenge?
    is it a request that we donate to a worthy cause?

yes and yes.

i'm leaving it in challenges so we can show each other photos of the quilts we've made and donated.
    please mention the name of the local hospice organization to which you donated yours.
    that way if there are members near you who don't know about that organization they will learn it's there and perhaps be inspired to donate one, too.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Blog Entries
    I accept this challenge and am jumping right in! Where I work we currently have 4 ( that I know of) residents receiving hospice care and my father in law is receiving hospice care. We have 3 different hospice agencies in our area plus a really nice hospice house where my younger brother and my favorite uncle both passed.
    I will take pictures of lap quilts I’m giving probably Friday- I’m happy to participate
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I'm in!!!!!!
    Hospice is most certainly a wonderful organization. It will be a pleasure to participate, Libster!

Is 45"x60" a good lap size for Hospice

Blog Entries
    We have a group of 6 ladies that meet twice a month and do exactly that. Make Hospice quilts. It's sad because they are always in need of more. It is hard to keep up with the need.
    Debbie

Yes, Bliss, I would think that would be a perfect size. I'm going to make a no sew fleece one today that should be about 50-55" X 54" . I'm going to use two lengths of 1 1/2 yds of no-pill fleece. I have some orphan blocks that will be next in line.

DJ
    Great challenge! I haven't donated a quilt to Hospice, but I've donated several knit prayer/comfort shawls to them. My family and friends have also benefited greatly from their care and support in end of life circumstances.

Blog Entries
    Libster, I to saw this and it has been on my heart all day,Is this all Hospice or just a certain one? I am sorry for the questions but I didn't catch where in N.C. these were needed.It doesn't really matter where it is,
    I just want to send them where they are needed.

Nightquilter, I would contact your local chapter of Hospice. I'm sure they could use your donations. Personally, I would love mine to be used locally in my community. I understand that they are given to the families afterwards to keep. To me, that's a win-win situation, comfort for the patient and for the family later on.
    Last edited by Libster; 08-08-2018 at 10:37 PM.

Here's what I did this morning. It's made from two different 1 1/2 yd. contrasting pieces of fleece. I love the no-knot edges. Feels a lot smoother.
    Okay, who's picture is next?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Libster; 08-09-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Libster View Post
    Here's what I did this morning. It's made from two different 1 1/2 yd. contrasting pieces of fleece. I love the no-knot edges. Feels a lot smoother.
    Okay, who's picture is next?
    If there are no knots, how is it held together?
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

After the strips are cut, fold all of them up to the uncut edge. With sharp scissors or snips cut a very small slit in the center of each folded up strip. Pull the ends of the strip through the slit and pull snugly. It's secured and there's no bulky knot on the edge.

Knots didn't seem like a good idea for a baby blanket I made. I just layered the two pieces of fleece, measured 4" from the edge and sewed a straight stitch around it before cutting the slits. That was six years ago and there have been no problems with it.

Thanks, Slow2Sew, for sharing another way to make these fleece blankets. I'm all for whatever works for each person.

No knots for me, please. I sew around all sides, rounding corners. Leave opening in center of one side to turn right side out, of course. Pin all around then top stitch. These blankets fold up better, knots don’t allow decent folding, in my opinion.

Power Poster
    My mom was given one of those fringed fleece blankets while she was in the nursing home. She actively hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    My mom was given one of those fringed fleece blankets while she was in the nursing home. She actively hated it.
    do you know why she didn't like it? that might help us avoid doing the same thing or at least offer other options.

A very good idea but I donate to our County's Foster kids. I gave 36 or 37 last year and have ready many more than that this year. These are kids that have been removed from their homes because of abuse, addiction and other reasons.

Good luck donating to Hospice.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    A very good idea but I donate to our County's Foster kids. I gave 36 or 37 last year and have ready many more than that this year. These are kids that have been removed from their homes because of abuse, addiction and other reasons.

Good luck donating to Hospice.
    Thank you, Jingle. And bless you for what you're doing. I firmly believe that sewing is a talent bestowed on us and I believe in giving back to someone in need of some comfort.

I never donated a quilt to Hospice but I am in the challenge.. Do like the cause of Hospice.. Have started with one. Will make 2. Will mayb more..

Thank you, amalia64.

So I have done 3 quilts so far, planning to do one more. so then I can get started on my next challenge.. First one I did was using flannel scraps I had. Second two I challenged myself in doing quillows. Have to say I luv them. Hopefully I will be able to download pics when done with the 4th one.. I asked around and found out there is a few Hospice companies in town.. So the challenge will be picking one Hospice to donate my quilts... Happy Quilting All!!

Way to go, Amalia64!

Great idea, Libster! I'm maxxed out on charity quilting with the group I work with (quilts for organ transplant recipients, and also local children's shelters), or I would join you in supporting hospice. It's a great thing to do with our sewing/quilting talents.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast