Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Lap quilts for Hospice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/lap-quilts-hospice-t298771.html)

Libster 08-07-2018 04:33 PM

Lap quilts for Hospice

Ladies and Gentlemen, I've just seen a post on Facebook from Hospice that they need lap quilts or blankets. There is no more worthy organization than Hospice. My family has been the beneficiary of their kindness several times in our darkest hours.

I want to challenge everyone to please consider donating at least one (or more) no sew fleece blanket or a lap quilt to your local Hospice. Use your scraps or unwanted fabrics, even orphan blocks. It doesn't have to be fancy, just something to give some comfort to someone at the end of their time here. I know Quilters have big hearts.

patricej 08-08-2018 02:13 AM

is this a challenge?
is it a request that we donate to a worthy cause?

yes and yes.

i'm leaving it in challenges so we can show each other photos of the quilts we've made and donated.
please mention the name of the local hospice organization to which you donated yours.
that way if there are members near you who don't know about that organization they will learn it's there and perhaps be inspired to donate one, too. :)

ckcowl 08-08-2018 02:40 AM

I accept this challenge and am jumping right in! Where I work we currently have 4 ( that I know of) residents receiving hospice care and my father in law is receiving hospice care. We have 3 different hospice agencies in our area plus a really nice hospice house where my younger brother and my favorite uncle both passed.
I will take pictures of lap quilts I’m giving probably Friday- I’m happy to participate

SusieQOH 08-08-2018 02:47 AM

I'm in!!!!!!
Hospice is most certainly a wonderful organization. It will be a pleasure to participate, Libster!

Bliss 08-08-2018 03:31 AM

Is 45"x60" a good lap size for Hospice

DebbieBrei 08-08-2018 03:41 AM

We have a group of 6 ladies that meet twice a month and do exactly that. Make Hospice quilts. It's sad because they are always in need of more. It is hard to keep up with the need.

Libster 08-08-2018 03:45 AM

Yes, Bliss, I would think that would be a perfect size. I'm going to make a no sew fleece one today that should be about 50-55" X 54" . I'm going to use two lengths of 1 1/2 yds of no-pill fleece. I have some orphan blocks that will be next in line.

DJ 08-08-2018 06:24 AM

Great challenge! I haven't donated a quilt to Hospice, but I've donated several knit prayer/comfort shawls to them. My family and friends have also benefited greatly from their care and support in end of life circumstances.

nightquilter 08-08-2018 07:24 PM

Libster, I to saw this and it has been on my heart all day,Is this all Hospice or just a certain one? I am sorry for the questions but I didn't catch where in N.C. these were needed.It doesn't really matter where it is,
I just want to send them where they are needed.

Libster 08-08-2018 10:34 PM

Nightquilter, I would contact your local chapter of Hospice. I'm sure they could use your donations. Personally, I would love mine to be used locally in my community. I understand that they are given to the families afterwards to keep. To me, that's a win-win situation, comfort for the patient and for the family later on.