Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Lap quilts for Hospice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/lap-quilts-hospice-t298771.html)

Libster 08-09-2018 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what I did this morning. It's made from two different 1 1/2 yd. contrasting pieces of fleece. I love the no-knot edges. Feels a lot smoother.
Okay, who's picture is next?

maviskw 08-09-2018 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Libster (Post 8108547)
Here's what I did this morning. It's made from two different 1 1/2 yd. contrasting pieces of fleece. I love the no-knot edges. Feels a lot smoother.
Okay, who's picture is next?

If there are no knots, how is it held together?

Libster 08-09-2018 04:13 PM

After the strips are cut, fold all of them up to the uncut edge. With sharp scissors or snips cut a very small slit in the center of each folded up strip. Pull the ends of the strip through the slit and pull snugly. It's secured and there's no bulky knot on the edge.

Slow2Sew 08-20-2018 04:47 PM

Knots didn't seem like a good idea for a baby blanket I made. I just layered the two pieces of fleece, measured 4" from the edge and sewed a straight stitch around it before cutting the slits. That was six years ago and there have been no problems with it.

Libster 08-20-2018 06:01 PM

Thanks, Slow2Sew, for sharing another way to make these fleece blankets. I'm all for whatever works for each person.

tranum 08-29-2018 12:24 PM

No knots for me, please. I sew around all sides, rounding corners. Leave opening in center of one side to turn right side out, of course. Pin all around then top stitch. These blankets fold up better, knots don’t allow decent folding, in my opinion.

bearisgray 08-29-2018 12:36 PM

My mom was given one of those fringed fleece blankets while she was in the nursing home. She actively hated it.

Mombygrace 09-02-2018 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8118242)
My mom was given one of those fringed fleece blankets while she was in the nursing home. She actively hated it.

do you know why she didn't like it? that might help us avoid doing the same thing or at least offer other options.

Jingle 09-10-2018 03:15 PM

A very good idea but I donate to our County's Foster kids. I gave 36 or 37 last year and have ready many more than that this year. These are kids that have been removed from their homes because of abuse, addiction and other reasons.

Good luck donating to Hospice.

Libster 09-10-2018 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 8124663)
A very good idea but I donate to our County's Foster kids. I gave 36 or 37 last year and have ready many more than that this year. These are kids that have been removed from their homes because of abuse, addiction and other reasons.

Good luck donating to Hospice.

Thank you, Jingle. And bless you for what you're doing. I firmly believe that sewing is a talent bestowed on us and I believe in giving back to someone in need of some comfort.