Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hot Craft Room Help

Hot Craft Room Help

Okay... this is going to sound weird but my craft room is hot. Well, it gets quite toasty. I have shop lights which are probably the culprit but I would not want it any other way.. Yesterday there were 3 of us in my room and we had an iron and 3 machines going plus the overhead lights. We were joking that I had a literal sweat shop going in my house. Okay, we weren't sweating but it was warm in here to say the least...

Does anyone else have this problem or had this problem and solved it? I'd love to get some ideas on how to fix this. I wonder if a fan would help or if it would just blow hot air around...

Blog Entries
    can you open a window? is it cooler outside? a dehumidifier may help too- my quilting room lights are pretty warm-sometimes i have to make sure the register is closed in that room & i set a fan up outside the room in the hall-to give some circulation- but it does move hot air around---you may want to shop for lights that do not get so hot- there are many to choose from- maybe more expensive but worth it in the long run---cooler lights & a dehumidifier (or window air conditioner) may be the answer- since it's below zero here today I can only (dream) of your warm room
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

How about changing your lights out for bulbs that are cooler yet bright or maybe an air-conditioner??
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Can you install a ceiling fan with a light? I have one in my studio and the fan does make a difference.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I am not sure what you mean by "shop lights". To me that means four foot fluorescent and they do not create heat. If they are halogen bulbs they will create a lot of heat. I have those in my sewing room for multiple reasons. One, they DO create heat. Two, they don't flicker like fluorescents and three, they give truer color readings to me.

My room is never too warm (extremely cold natured!) but I am extremely light sensitive. Maybe some of my methods would help you. What I do is turn them off while I am at the machine if it starts to get to warm in there. I prefer to sew with only the light on the machine, though. Also, my ironing board is in another room with poor lighting. I keep a floor lamp that has a reading light on it at my ironing board. I just turn on the reading portion while I iron.

I think there is an OTT lamp that would work for that, too but this was much less expensive and I detest OTT lamps. I can see them flicker and they trigger migraines.

I am sorry your craft room is too warm. Mine is rarely warm enough! Grass is always greener!

I am curious now... It doesn't get hot when I'm just in here unless the sewing machines and iron are on. Maybe it's just body heat lol. It is a large room. I should bring a thermometer in here and see what the temp does in here and when...
    Maybe it isn't the lights at all.

Power Poster
    Are there floor vents you could close off for when you have a crowd in your room?

Its amazing how much heat an iron puts out into a room. I have a basement sewing room , and this time of year its a bit chilly. Once I turn on my iron.. the room gets warm very quickly.. so much so I don't need a space heater. I think you have several heat sources. Incandesent light bulbs put out alot of heat, so switch to the flouresant type where ever possible. Your iron if not needed should be off ( I know this is a tough one ..as I want my iron hot and ready). The motor of the machine does reject some heat into the room , but not very much. I think your issues are the iron, the lights and ... people. Remember we are all about 98.6 degrees and the more people in a room the warmer it gets.
    You need to exhaust the hot air .. can you open a window? A fan to help move cooler and circulate cooler air should provide some relief... but you need to draw air from a cooler source.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
    I am curious now... It doesn't get hot when I'm just in here unless the sewing machines and iron are on. Maybe it's just body heat lol. It is a large room. I should bring a thermometer in here and see what the temp does in here and when...
    Maybe it isn't the lights at all.
    Do you have a window you could open?

Was the heat on in the house, do you have central heat or electric baseboards in each room?

Was the door closed?
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I don't have a solution, I'm just chiming in to say that when I read "Hot Craft Room Help" I was pleased that you had a hot craft room helper...

Alison

i've got fluorescent lights... the door is open. I did open a window but sadly it felt just as hot outside as it was inside. We've got central heating & air. I think it just must be body heat and movement warming up the room. I'm okay with it warm. I like it warm but I felt bad for my friends. We'll just plan to wear short sleeves.. I started off with long sleeves and was ready for short sleeves very quickly. I have to remember to dress in layers. When my guild has Sewing Saturdays I dress in layers because you just never know...

Blog Entries
    Oh how I wish I had some of your heat in my upstairs nook. My frugal woman in me, just will not do it. In order to heat this room, I have to turn on another furnace that would heat 1200 other square feet of spare space (guest bedrooms, open hallways, etc). So I use a tiny space heater, and leave the door open as most of the hallway is open to the heatalor downstairs. Right now it is 60 degrees in here, feels almost warm.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    can you open a window? is it cooler outside? a dehumidifier may help too- my quilting room lights are pretty warm-sometimes i have to make sure the register is closed in that room & i set a fan up outside the room in the hall-to give some circulation- but it does move hot air around---you may want to shop for lights that do not get so hot- there are many to choose from- maybe more expensive but worth it in the long run---cooler lights & a dehumidifier (or window air conditioner) may be the answer- since it's below zero here today I can only (dream) of your warm room
    These are all good ideas. I have a ceiling fan with a light on it.

excitement can make you get warmer. perhaps you should not get excited about what you are doing...especially with other people! NOT! enjoy! and i hope you find a solution.
    "perfection is the enemy of done."
    "the secret to having it all is knowing you already do."

Blog Entries
    My laundry room always seemed too hot and stuffy so DH installed a vent fan, the kind found in the bathroom. It works great to keep the room comfortable. That would be the less expensive way to go. It took DH about 2 hours to install it.
    Got fabric?

This is going to sound like a strange question - how much sun does the roof & walls of the room receive. We have a back bedroom and it receives a LOT of sunlight on the roof & one side wall. Our house is well insulated, but this room gets very warm in during Georgia's summers.
    If you can't install a ceiling fan, at least try a floor or pedestal fan.

Blog Entries
    i have a small fan i use when it gets hot. i have no windows in my basement sewing room and it does get very warm at times.

I am usually too warm in my sewing room too. I have bare feet, legs, and arms while sewing. Now that it is winter my sewing room is set to 54 degrees which is perfect. Once I get the iron going the room is a comfortable temperature for me. Last summer was a different story! I moved a box fan so that it was blowing on me where ever I was working: the sewing machine, the cutting station, the ironing station, etc.. The fan really works to make me comfortable. I'm sure it is just blowing hot air on me but it is cooling none the less. I hope you find a solution - I really hate being too warm.

My studio was always really warm until my husband changed out the lighting for me. I had regular fluorescent fixtures in there and they are hot. He changed them out with the new T8 fluorescent fixtures and bulbs. I can't believe the difference. The room is not hot any more and the bulbs are brighter. I know it sounds silly that it could make that much difference but it does. Please try it.
    DonnaR
    Grammy to Isaiah and Ruth

Check with Lowes or Home Depot and get "COOL" lights. Maybe put an oscillating fan (vertical type) on an upper shelf to cool the warm air. Remember warm air rises, so if you cool it off closer to the ceiling the cool air will drop.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I've complained about how hot my room gets also. I have many lights all around my room. I can't have an air conditioner in the window. I have central air and that's not enough. I have a tower fan and it helps a bit. The iron is hot, the sewing machine is hot, the lights are hot. I have the expensive lights that aren't suppose to heat up, but I still get hot and I'm suppose to be over my hot flashes. I am freezing in the rest of the house. So, I stay in my sewing room until I'm cooked and turn off all the lights and leave the door open and go sit in the living room until I'm frost bitten and then head back into the sewing room. I repeat as necessary.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Sew naked

I couldn't resist.

The flourescent lights don't give off much heat. The iron does. I'm at that wonderful age when all of a sudden I've become my own whole house heater. This is all relatively new to me ... a voyage of discovery. I have noticed certain triggers though. My iron IS indeed one of them. When I'm using it ... hot flashes. Another trigger is a "flurry" of activity. If I've had my iron on all day I can definately feel the differnce in the overall temperature of the room.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a hot craft room.
    My room gets the sun all day long. It comes up behind the house and just moves across the sky, behind the house... That's got to be a main culprit that I had not even thought of...
    I also love the idea of installing ceiling vents. that might really help a lot.
    I do have the T8 fluorescent lights. I think it must really be the iron, the sewing machines and three women all moving around that put it over the edge. Hubby has come in here and said wow, it's hot in here and he isn't meaning me lol.

I'm sure something will give. I love the suggestions that everyone is giving. I'm going to bounce some off of my father in law (he's the handy one. My husband is not - hanging a picture is a big ordeal for him lol) and see if he has any ideas on what I can do to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I've complained about how hot my room gets also. I have many lights all around my room. I can't have an air conditioner in the window. I have central air and that's not enough. I have a tower fan and it helps a bit. The iron is hot, the sewing machine is hot, the lights are hot. I have the expensive lights that aren't suppose to heat up, but I still get hot and I'm suppose to be over my hot flashes. I am freezing in the rest of the house. So, I stay in my sewing room until I'm cooked and turn off all the lights and leave the door open and go sit in the living room until I'm frost bitten and then head back into the sewing room. I repeat as necessary.
    Sorry, but this made me chuckle. I must be the only on you loves a hot room. I keep a small radiator type heater under my sewing table, Drag the poor thing over to the cutting table when I am over there. I even close the floor vent in the summer when the central air is on.

I wish I had some of those hot flashes y'all talk about. I went through menopause with no issues what so ever.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Blog Entries
    A ceiling fan would help you a lot. Even if it blows warm air around it will still feel better then still dry hot air. Also close the vents and if they can't be closed put something over the vents to block off the heat. But only if the vent themselves don't get hot. I do agree with you that I wouldn't give up my good lighting in there. Good lighting is very important in a sewing room.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast