Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
House fire and fabric...help! >

House fire and fabric...help!

House fire and fabric...help!

Old 03-14-2014, 05:51 PM

A friend gave me some clothes she could not fit in. Her husband smokes very heavy. All the clothes some still had the sticker on smelled really strong of cig. smoke. I hung them on the clothes line for 2 days. That took the smell out. Wait until you are gonna have some clear sorta windy days and hang the fabric on the line. If there is a huge stash it might take a while to get it all aired out.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:01 PM

My house burned down in 2011- lost everything including my stash- insurance covered most everything to be replaced. A year later I found my friend's house burning. Her house was totaled but could get articles out or remains. Unfortunately are several cleanings by professionals, cloth items were still smoke damaged and had to be replaced. Just think of all the fun to go shopping!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:05 PM

You may want to try an enzyme cleaner. There used to be one called "Odor Mute" that was sold in pet stores. Removed skunk odors, kennel odors, any organic odor from clothing, carpeting and hard surfaces. Worth a try. Also, call one of the local "disaster" cleaning companies and ask them what they would use to clean cotton clothing (you don't want them to do it, just ask what they use). Just a thought....

Anita
Old 03-14-2014, 06:13 PM

Just read on the University of Missouri Extension Service website that the only way to get rid of the smokey odor from textiles is through a process called "ozone treatment" (an ozone generator is used). There are supposedly no chemicals or cleaners that will take the smokey odor out of the fabric. It has be to neutralized and only ozone can do it. They also say that any perfumes, Fabreze type sprays, laundry soaps, etc., will not do anything to remove the odor that only the ozone treatment can do that. I'd bet this is an expensive treatment. What your DF needs to do is tally up the amount she spent on her stash and add it to her claim for reimbursement on the insurance. I'm not sure there is anything you can really do to salvage the stash short of professionally ozoning it.

Hope this info helps...

Anita
Old 03-14-2014, 06:16 PM

She may just want to turn it into insurance.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:47 PM

Can you buy Snowy Bleach where you are? Years ago our neighbors house caught on fire. They split up their clothes with the neighbors to wash. The neighbors using Snowy Bleach (us) were the only ones to get the smell out of their clothing.

Good luck!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:03 PM

If you have a restoration company near by you can get a product from them that will remove the smoke smell and stains. Your friend can talk to her/his insurance company and normally they will cover the cost of the product, plus your water, electricity and time. We did this for my mothers neighbors about 15 years ago. I believe they worked through Servpro. All the smoke smell was gone when the clothing and other water washable items were cleaned.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

Here's what I would try:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this with loads that have bad odors -- everything from kitty accidents to old teen sweat. For a small load in my front-loader, I use a heaping teaspoon in addition to the regular soap. If it's really bad, I have used up to 1 tablespoon. If you have a top-loader or a large front-loader (mine is small), you can use more per load. It does not damage anything. Basically this is a ground-up mineral that absorbs odor, then rinses away with the water.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:58 AM

Several things come to mind - the first one, charcoal in a closed plastic bag for several days.
- the second one - baking soda and lemon juice wash.
- baking soda in a closed plastic bag for several days.

I don't know if any of this will work, but worth a shot. Sorry about your friend's situation. Scary.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:00 AM

After a fire I always washed my uniforms in detergent and threw in a healthy pour of ammonia, you can get a lemon scent that seems to give an extra boost. The ammonia not only got rid of the smoke smell but whitened my white shirt cuffs without affecting my colored uniform patches. The singed and burned pieces need to be cut off and tossed. Good luck, my condolences to your friend, even a small kitchen fire can be so devastating, not only to your home but emotionally.