Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
House fire and fabric...help! >

House fire and fabric...help!

House fire and fabric...help!

Old 03-15-2014, 07:30 AM

Try putting the dry fabric in a large bag and putting either Irish spring or Zest bar soap and tie tightly and let it set for a week. Works for old sewing machine cases, etc.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:41 AM

There was afire where my son rents and all his clothes were reeking with smoke. First I washed them and then pouted Feebreeze in the machine. That took out all odors. You do need to pour a generous amount. But it worked. Nothing else did for me. Good luck
Old 03-15-2014, 09:48 AM

Try a cleaning additive called Odo-Ban (Home Depot carries it in the industrial cleaning supplies). I use it for EVERYTHING - laundry, carpet, floors, walls, mattresses. We had a truck crash through our house and after we were out, the house caught fire. Talk about insult to injury! I was able to save almost all of my curtains, bed clothes and clothes with Odo-Ban. Hope it helps.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:54 AM

So sorry for your friends fire, that is a horrible experience in itself but then when you discover that so many of your treasured objects have been ruined you get into an emotional situation. Like Joyce in DE, I have lots of fabric that I would be willing to share and if you PM me I could get a box together. Let me know what her preferences and I'll try to find something for her and if not, I will give her lots of "surprises" for her to learn to love.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:27 AM

Years ago my DMIL gave me a beautiful leather jacket. She smoke heavily...eeeeuuuuuwwwwww..... I'm very highly sensitive to smoke. I took the coat, put it in a large garbage bag and dumped an entire large box of baking soda in along with the jacket. I sealed it up, every few days I would go in and shake that bag for all it was worth. I left the coat in there for a month, changed the baking soda halfway through! Seriously, I did!! At the end of the month, I dumped it out, shook out the coat, (which took forever) and to my complete an utter amazement there was not one tiny whiff of smoke left in the coat! If anyone would have detected smoke smells it would be me!! To this day I am still amazed!
It took quite some time, but it was well worth it!! HTH
Also, have you thought about calling the non emergency number of your fire dept and asking their advice on what could possibly remove smoke smell?? Just a thought.
Wish you the best!
Old 03-15-2014, 10:31 AM

You might try OdoBan---it is a disinfedtant and eliminates odors and I get it a Sams.
Jeanne
Old 03-15-2014, 11:39 AM

There is a product called Natures Miracle Skunk odor remover, made for pets. It really works on a skunked dog, know this from personal experience. If it can take Skunk out of a dog, I would think it could remove smoke smell. Any pet store should have it, and I know it is online.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:57 AM

Let me get back to you on this, I have a friend that had a house fire a couple of years ago, and although she didn't lose her home, she did lose a lot of quilting related items and quite a bit of fabric, but she did manage somehow to get the smoke smell out.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:13 PM

I second the suggestion of 20 Mule Team Borax in the wash. It's really great at removing odors and is very inexpensive. Best of luck to your friend!
Old 03-15-2014, 03:29 PM

Maybe if you drank enough of the vodka the smoke smell would go away. It would work for me! Sorry about trying to make a joke out of your frustration.