Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
House with long carpet >

House with long carpet

House with long carpet

Old 08-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

Get an inexpensive throw rug for the area. And a large magnet that looks like a roller(to pick up the pins). The carpet is trashed already with that large loopy stuff. Sorry. As long as you run vacuum at the end of the day you should be ok. Landlords only worry about filthy and pet urine soaked carpets..
Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 PM

I've purchased larger pieces of bound carpet and the interlocking foam mats at Big Lots. Very affordable.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:56 AM

I use chairmats under my machines, which helps.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:01 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I would get another cheap carpet and lay it down right over the other one. The loop carpet will act as a padding and when ready to move a vac will bring the pile back up.

You can't be expected to stop living and there is a certain amount of wear and tear that is expected in a rental that should not interfer with the return of a deposit if that is the case. I have lived in a lot of rentals and know what to expect in the way of wear on an apt.

Good luck.
peace
I wholeheartedly agree .. a rug ..
Old 08-21-2013, 08:36 AM

Men! There's just no way you could "trash" the carpet with threads, bits of fabric or a dollop or two of water soluble glue such as Elmer's. If you vacuum carefully once a week you should have no problem. It's not like you're working on cars!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 AM

Maybe putting down a colored sheet would help as well.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

I would go to a local flooring store where you could pick up a remnant and have it bound for very little money. As others have suggested, you could put that carpet over the other, plus I might consider having one of those floor saver plastic doohickees that they sell in office supply stores so any pins that go missing could be found easily and not destroy the landlords "gorgeous" carpet. What were they thinking, anyway???
Old 08-21-2013, 02:41 PM

I have the same problem when I'm quilting a large quilt. I have to do it in my family room which has heavy carpeting. I've tried several different things but what has worked awesomely well is a 2 x 8 sheet of 3/4" plywood. I set my machine on a "personal" table (available at Office Max / Walmart or wherever). I use a roller "secretary's chair" and just have a wastebasket immediately handy. Works super well. When I'm done with the large quilting project I just take the plywood back out to the garage. If you want something "prettier" you could get laminate flooring that snaps together and your hubby (or you) could build a frame around it if your setup for sewing is to be more permanent. Good luck!!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:09 PM

I bought some that look like wood from Amazon, low price too!