Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Household items turned quilting notions? >

Household items turned quilting notions?

Household items turned quilting notions?

Old 10-15-2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
Originally Posted by RkayD
Check out this blog...she has it down to almost a science!

Makes a trip to Lowe's ALOT more fun! LoL!

sewmanyways.blogspot.com
OMG!!! I have been on that site for 45 minutes. Thanks that is awesome!!!
I just did the same thing for about an hour. Needless to say I bookmarked the site. I will certainly use some of her ideas...I have no vision when it comes to repurposing. :|
Old 10-15-2010, 01:33 AM

Slow2Sew, can you please elaborate on your suggestion of a magnesium (concrete) floater to hold a long ruler in place for rotary cutting? Sounds like something I'd like to know more about but I'm clueless on what a magnesium floater is. Thank you in advance.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by imak
Originally Posted by FabricHappy
Wow, I love all the tips being shared here. Here's my "2cents" to add(haha): 1.a pencil box to store my rotary cutter in 2.Gerber plastic tubs to store pins,beads,embellishments,etc in. 3.bamboo skewer poke corners out. 4.antique school desk for my sewing machine. 5.terrycloth ponytail holders on my bobbins. 6.shoe boxes & gift shirt boxes for storing fabric scraps & strips. 7.flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth from dollar store for quilt layouts. 8.empty Hershey's cocoa powder container/coffeemug/coffee can for pens,pencils,markers,etc..9.large empty cereal boxes, trimmed, to hold quilt magazines. 10.Love to use heart-shaped candy boxes from Valentine's Day for heart templates.............Well, there you have it...some of my uses of nonquilting items, put to use for my quilting habit:)...:)
I also have been loving this thread! Don't know if it will help anyone but I use a large soda bottle to fill my iron--no spills. On a thread the other day it was mentioned that some were waiting for DH to make larger board ironing surface---like ME. I have been turning my board around and using it (backwards), get a larger surface and can still use small end to hold iron--or use table next to it. I also have a rectangular board that turns and my large cutting mat fits on it, by putting it on the ironing board it is just the right height to cut and I can cut all around it without moving my material.
Have fun and take care Imak
Old 10-15-2010, 04:31 AM

I use the bottle from liquid Coffee-Mate coffee creamer for dispensing water into my iron, works great!
Old 10-15-2010, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Iowan
HI: It is freezer paper and it makes applique easy. YOu make the pattern iron on to fabric, cut 1/4 around pattern then use a small iron with a brush and brush on liquid starch to the quarter inch and use a pointed tool to start turning edge and press with iron all around the edge, then remove paper and using fabric glue put a small drop on the seam and glue to background fabric. I usually glue the pieces together, such as the leaves of a flower and then lay on the fabric. I will show you one of my original patterns Louise
I use this method also...Beautiful quilt!
Old 10-15-2010, 04:54 AM

What great ideas.. thank you Jan
Old 10-15-2010, 05:12 AM

I use the clear plastic containers with zippers and the plastic hook that curtains, etc., come in for storing various supplies. I hang them on my wire stand shelves in my sewing room and can easily see what I have (and where it's at). Maybe somebody has already had this. Sorry if it's a repeat.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:13 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas! There are some great ones, and very helpful too!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Beth the blue featherweight in your avatar picture is lovely!
I would like a purple one someday.
Sharon
Thank you Sharon. I posted all my singer machines on the 12th. This is the one I redid several years ago. I love that "Blueberry". Beth
Old 10-15-2010, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by labbyrobinson
Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
These aren't earth-shattering but almost everything in my sewing room is not specifically for sewing. I use a dish-drying rack for a ruler stand. And I'm a container nut. Everything is in a container-within a container - all re-purposed. I covered a liquor box with fabric to use as a scrap basket. I use an old stereo cabinet for a rolling shelf unit, with great shelves! I use front-loading in-out boxes and slip in old candy boxes for seperate marking/cutting tool containers ... beside a silverware tray with lots of compartments. I use a kitchen turntable for all kinds of things, and pizza boxes for blocks-in-progress. Everything is labeled.
Love the pizza box idea, although not practical for an RV.
I had several in our RV, I just slid them under the sofa. Room for at least 6...