Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
household items used for quilting >

household items used for quilting

household items used for quilting

Old 07-01-2014, 09:06 AM

I save all #1 & 2 lb. clear plastic containers from strawberries to hold different sizes of fabric strips, & I use clear plastic donut containers from Walmart to keep extra strips, scraps & blocks from each finished quilt top. After the quilt is finished
I will then put extras in kitchen baggies. and place into extra's container...I also use a wooden container used to keep silverware and napkins, for my small rulers, fabric marking Pens, & other small fabric tools.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:07 AM

Default Not quite a household item.....

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting View Post
Hi all, I have to give a short presentation at a guild meeting about household items that can be used for quilting. I'm hoping that you all will tell me things that you use, especially things that can be used instead of a more expensive quilting gadget or tool. Thanks
Loved all the ladies' answers. Of course I have to be different......where I go for mammograms we have the option of purchasing a foam mat (one side is to stick to the machine's plate - that's always cold!). I bring them home and use them beneath my machines. Don't forget to put the peel off paper back on before you put it in your purse. This and an ever present supply of chopsticks are my favorite items.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:29 AM

I use post-it notes to remind me of the settings that I used on a project. My machine erases all settings when I shut it off.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:21 AM

We are a medical family so I use hemostats for pulling those pesky whiskers and to guide small pieces through the machine.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

In a class I took with Carol Doak several years ago, she suggested using a postcard, or the inserts you get in abundance in magazines when paper piecing to fold over the paper before sewing the next piece. She also uses plastic meat or similar type trays from the grocery store to hold cut pieces for paper piecing. I use Freezer paper when working with appliques, as well as using it for a pressing cloth when fusing applique pieces. In addition to qt. and gal. zip lock bags, I also use the very large, 2 1/2 gal., I think, zip lock bags to keep my projects separated, with pattern, fabrics, etc., so I'm less likely to lose pieces/patterns, etc. when I begin a fabric, hold a work in progress, or just keep everything together so I don't lose them.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:17 AM

I use empty coffee tins and hot cocoa tins to hold my Wonder clips. I have also started using glass jars (read on a blog) to hold smaller spools of thread and misc. items. I use the baskets from Africa to hold patterns and other items depending on the size of the basket.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
I use empty coffee tins and hot cocoa tins to hold my Wonder clips. I have also started using glass jars (read on a blog) to hold smaller spools of thread and misc. items. I use the baskets from Africa to hold patterns and other items depending on the size of the basket.

I use an office cubicle divider for a design wall. I have 2, one for the wall and the other I hang ideas, supplies, my rules, notes and so forth. They are cloth covered and great.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:05 PM

Did not see parchment paper listed. I always have some when I am going to a retreat. I use it in place of the non stick sheet for iron on papers. Also it can be used for pattern making or in place of the paper used for drawing designs for quilting on quilts. It tears off very easily. I also carry a man's cotton handkerchief to use as a pressing cloth. Thanks for all your tips. Most of which I have used over time. All that is except "buffalo tooth" What the heck is that and where did you find it? LOL Oh one more I have found to be useful, a pencil sharpener. Seems like that darn chalk pencil is forever dull.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Aunt Neicie View Post
I use an office cubicle divider for a design wall. I have 2, one for the wall and the other I hang ideas, supplies, my rules, notes and so forth. They are cloth covered and great.
That's a great idea. Guess I need to check recycled office furniture places.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:29 PM

Chopsticks to poke out corners.