Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Housework vs. Quilting >

Housework vs. Quilting

Housework vs. Quilting

Old 09-27-2010, 12:55 AM

OCD is a hard thing to have, I am grateful I do not. Housework VS QB, Quilting, Knitting, Reading, Sleeping, Studying, working 40 hours a week, caring for my parents, being a parent to Mr 7, gardening.
Housework does not even get a look in - cleaner starts again next week.
I do the basics - bathroom, kitchen and pick ups.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
It's a good thing we have company visit once in a while! I always do clean the house when I know they are coming. :oops:
I agree. Fortunately there are only two of us in the house so it doesn't get messy. The only "mess" is mine - in the dining room. I have to clear all my quilt paraphernalia out of the way which is a nuisance because I forget where I put things. Judging by other posts on here I feel quite balanced.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:44 AM

My house can be a little disorganized, as long as it is clean. It will reach a point I have to do something.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:26 AM

Quilting would win for me. Housework is always there. It never goes away. It is like the Energizer Bunny.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:24 AM

46+ years ago I married a man who apparently likes clutter or else it is invisible to him and I was a neat freak. Since we were both convinced of our "rights", we fought many rounds about that over the years, but he got neater and I became more tolerant. Now we are old-ish and he has many serious medical problems, so the clutter is confined to certain areas and mainly medical related. I do housework on a priority basis ... dishes, bathrooms, laundry regularly; other stuff gets done when it gets done. I must conserve my energy for making quilts!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

The whole point of me having a sewing room is so I have a place to get away from the disaster that is my house. I never have had any use for housework, and at the tender age of 52, odds are, I won't develop a real fondness for it. So no, I can play all day and not give the condition of my place a thought. Now before anyone tsk-tsks, it isn't so bad that anyone would catch anything bad. Dishes are washed- kitchen is reasonably clean , bathroom is OK.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:53 AM

I think it all depends on what you mean by a clean house. What looks great to me, might not look clean to someone else. I always have to laugh when I go to someone house and they say "pardon the mess" and it looks spotless to me. They scurry away with a coffee cup and a tissue.

I try to get the basics done every morning. Laundry, picking up, all that stuff. But once I am in my sewing room, all bets are off as far as housework goes. We have to have our priorities. Between sewing and the computer there is little time for anything else. I do try to make an appearance when my hubby comes home and maybe watch a movie with him or something once in awhile.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:08 AM

My motto: "Have a home that is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be comfortable." In other words, cleaning can wait, quilting can't.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:21 AM

I have a dish towel on my refrigerator that says:
"A clean house is a sign of a wasted life"! I usually straighten up daily, that way nothing gets really messy. Once a week vacuuming (ugh!!!) and dusting (ugh! ugh!). There are only 2 of us now, so it goes pretty quickly. We are in the process of moving, so I have been a bit lacks on the housework, my sewing room is a wreck! But packing does that, right?
Old 09-27-2010, 09:16 AM

No you are not the only one,my darling husband is always telling me to just sit and quilt,even says to not bother with cooking !We have a solution though, we have a static caravan in the Lake District here in the north of England, the site is so quiet, and during the week very few people are there.We are surrounded with trees and the bird life is wonderful and it is where I completly relax and 'do my thing' Each to their own I suppose.Another plus is -- very poor mobile phone signal !!!