Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to attract the attention of quilt collectors? >

How to attract the attention of quilt collectors?

How to attract the attention of quilt collectors?

Old 05-05-2014, 04:07 AM

Default How to attract the attention of quilt collectors?

I work in a small non-profit quilt museum with a miniscule budget. Every once in a while a piece of a collection will come our way to sell on consignment when a collector downsizes or the family is looking to sell a quilt. We also have the opportunity to sell quilts and quilted art made by some of the quilt exhibitors. My question is, if you can only afford to place one ad to attract those who might want to collect this work, where would you place the ad?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:41 AM

I hate to say it...EBay. It has become the hunting grounds for collectors of all kinds. Ebay isn't just a junk market anymore. There are lots of high-end collectables thee now and it's probably one of the largest markets in the world, so you'll get a lot of attention. I would also twitter your listings to increase views and prospective buyers. It may take you awhile to get a reputation going, so you might want to start with your lower priced quilts first. Also, make sure that you convey that you are selling collector's quality and not some cheapy goods.

~ Cindy
Old 05-05-2014, 04:44 AM

This might help with other info about selling quilts.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7361187_sell...t-blanket.html
Old 05-05-2014, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

My opinion on eBay is that it is STILL the largest garage sale. I sold for a couple of years and every single one of my customers were looking for a bargain. In fact, I shop for quilt fabric and magazines and unless they give free shipping, I won't pay full retail on any item. I noticed that one of my neighbors put her quilt she received from her aunt's death (Aunt was an author and instructor at QIAD) for sale below what I thought of the value of the quilt would be. I watched it for 3 weeks and it didn't sell.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:23 AM

Some of where you advertise will depend on whether you are looking for an investment collector or one who buys for pleasure alone. Advertise in publications that collectors read...American Craft, American Style, FiberArts, Art in America, ArtNews, Art & Antiques.

Talk to the folks at the Brush Gallery and/or Whistler House for ideas or possibly a showing that would get the pieces seen as art rather than craft. And, of course, be sure to put them on your website and maybe promote them to your mailing list. Collectors want to have a 'connection' to what they purchasee, so be sure to include the story behind the pieces you are selling.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:03 AM

I'm surprised all you do is place one ad - and by "you", I'm not picking on you personally, I mean the museum. Do you also do a "press release" of some kind, where you inform other museums of the item? They might be interested. How about your database of previous buyers? Local guilds and shops? If you sent info out that way, you might get good word-of-mouth advertising.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:12 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I am working in the museum shop following a string on non-quilters who tried to make the shop a general type museum shop. I am trying to get back to the roots as a quilt museum with a focus on quilts in the shop. We are beginning to be known for the everyday type of consignment quilts and although the sales are slow, non quilters are beginning to show up both to shop and to sell on consignment. We are setting up a five year plan for the shop and this is where I can see a lot of room for improvement starting with appraisals. attracting possible collectors and building a solid base.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:32 AM

your type of shop sounds interesting--wish there were more like it in other states! 5 year plan sounds promising; it will take time & a LOT of advertisement until you step in the right circles...
Old 05-07-2014, 03:18 AM
Power Poster

I would also post flyers at LQShops listed in the directory of LQS shops.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:50 PM

No suggestions, but sending you and the museum good wishes.