Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How BIG/SMALL is it? >

How BIG/SMALL is it?

How BIG/SMALL is it?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

if one knows the size of a quilt in a photo, one can decide if one wants to copy it or not.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I don't think she doesn't mean the size of the photo, I think she means the size of the object in the photo. In other words, what size is the quilt.
Thanks, Peckish! Obviously, I failed to make myself clear: I should have said the size of the PROJECT, not the photo! OMG! I've read through the posts here and some sound mean and nasty. For one thing, red is not screaming...red is a color. Red happens to be my favorite color. Back to the beginning: I only wanted to know if I was enjoying looking at a mini quilt, a twin, king, etc. I know some camera angles can distort the size of the project. For instance, a distant picture of a bag makes the bag look small. Hope this clears up my intention of my post. BTW, I'm a less-than-average quilter and I save some of the photos so I can review them later. You have no idea of the size of my bucket list! LOL

Last edited by kwilter; 01-10-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:55 AM

I know that when someone posts a picture of a block they have done, I can't tell if it is 2", 4" 6" 12" or what. Sometimes I would like to know how big that block is. Not that I would make it, although sometimes I would, I am just curious I guess. As far as a quilt if concerned, the whole thing, it doesn't matter to me if I know ho large or small it is.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 AM

I agree that knowing the dimensions of the project in a photo helps with perspective. It's not just to save for later, but to appreciate the work as well. Some people like really small quilts and a close up may give detail but no feel for size. If all you see is quilt, you can't tell the size without a some sort of gauge, like some online shops put coins next to the pattern to show the size of the design.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:49 AM

The fact is you can post a picture with explicit details and three posts later someone will ask for the pattern name. And if you forget and answer somebody's questions past the first page it doesn't get read anyway.

I can't read the red letters not because it's giant and red but because the font is all mushed together. I just scroll past.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:54 PM

this is very interesting. instead of wondering why people want to know, i wonder why people don't want to tell.
and quiltmakers like to think they're so kind and considerate. some people should rethink that.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:55 PM

it is only yelling if in capital letters. smile.....there are a lot of cranky people on here today. come on smile. if you don't want to add that info, don't. it is that simple
Old 01-10-2012, 01:28 PM

Ladies!!! Please, all try this exercise--Take a deep breath and smile. Everyone will feel better.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
BeAQuilter ... a little of pot calling the kettle black!

SundaKoyal ... BTW Thanks to the auto-notice I read your original post, before you edited it out. Not classy at all! Worse than the accusations being lobbed. Glad you re-thought and changed it.
quilt e, you do tend to try to impress with rabbit trails and make comments that leave people wondering who's side you are on, let's just say fueling the fires is not a desirable trait. And, it really is time to move on from the pot and kettle analogy. How's that? Doesn't feel so good to be personally targeted, does it? imho
point is, we have a right to ask on here without being humiliated for it. I personally have learned a great deal from other peoples questions.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:48 PM

I am soooo unsubscribing from this thread....