Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can I keep my Squares Even when cutting >

How can I keep my Squares Even when cutting

How can I keep my Squares Even when cutting

Old 01-23-2010, 07:25 AM

I have wrist problems also and what I discovered...and it really helps...is a suction handle thingy!! It is about 12" long and has a 3" suction cup at each end. What this does is distribute your weight over the ruler more evenly so the ruler doesn't tend to slip or slide. Quilt shops have them but they are also at Lowes, Home Depot or probably any hardware store sold as grab bars.

This site shows what they look like...

www.qualitymedicalinc.com
Old 01-23-2010, 07:39 AM

Thanks everyone...I have it all wirtten down...i will get online and see if I can't find the Creative Goods Non Slip Rulers. and also the Invisi-Grip Clear Clingy Film

Thanks for all of your help.

:)
Old 01-23-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
Sounds like you could use something on the underside of the ruler to keep it from slipping. There are a few different things you can do/get. I have clear non-slip dots on mine. They sell a roll of stuff, i forget the name, that you can put underneath. I think it's like a cling or contact paper. I'm sure someone here can come up with the name. I've also heard you can put a few dots of clear nail polish, but haven't tried that one myself. Small pieces of adhesive backed sandpaper can help. I didn't like that though, mine peeled off.
You can also run a line of hot glue around the edges. But suspect you might be pushing the rotary cutter against the ruler too hard. Try to hold the ruler more exactly vertical so you can just use the ruler for a guide. And keep you little finger off the ruler to the left side (if you're right handed) and it will help stabilize the ruler.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:58 AM

The clingy film does not work that well. I took mine off and tried several other things including the round sand paper things. The only thing that works for me is to hand walk up the ruler while cutting.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:00 AM

With your wrist condition, you would be wise to invest in something like the Accu-cut or whatever it's called!!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:38 AM

Would a pair of wrist braces (such as I wear for carpal tunnel syndrome) be of any help to you?
Old 01-23-2010, 09:33 AM

there are lots of great suggestions here. I agree that I would use a longer ruler, and you need to have a good flat cutting surface that is the right height for you. A table that is too high is hard to apply the proper pressure. So a dining room table may be better than a kitchen counter, for example.

When you are cutting place the cutting edge of your ruler directly in front of your cutting hand. You will be able to apply better pressure with your rotary cutter if you are properly centered in front of your work, and that means the cutting wrist should be going straight forward, the blade should be perpendicular to the table and rolling right along the edge of the ruler, not at any kind of an angle to the ruler or table other than straight up and down.

The little discs you can put on the underside of your ruler to keep them from slipping can be purchased at your LQS or online. In a pinch, you can use little squares of sandpaper that you place on the underside of your ruler with double stick tape.

When you have placed your ruler and you are about to make the cut, take your "ruler hand" and lay it down along the edge of the ruler, so that the inner aspect of your pinky is right along the ruler's edge (on the side that is not the cutting side, obviously!). This will help to stablize the ruler and keep it from sliding and it will be much less pressure on your wrists than if you are using the ends of your fingers to hold the ruler. Most demonstrations of rotary cutting show the person with her hand like a spider on the top of the ruler. I'm suggesting that you put your hand flat on the ruler, with your pinky along the non-cutting edge. *Make sure all your other fingers (especially your thumb) are within the margin of the ruler and are not in the path of the cutter!* As you move the rotary cutter up the length of the ruler, you will have to move your hand up one or two times as well, so slide it up or walk it up carefully. this will prevent the end of the ruler from pulling away from your rotary cutter as you get further away from your body.

I would also suggest spray starching your fabrics before you cut (Mary Ellen's Best Press, available in your local quilt shop or on line is wonderful, but any will do) and once you have some confidence in your ability, it may be advisable to invest in one of the cutting machines (such as the Accucut GO) which is very accurate and it will take a lot of the pressure off your wrists. you will turn a crank to feed fabrics under a die cutter/roller system rather than using a rotary cutter.

Hope this helps. there are lots of great suggestions for you here!
Lisa
Old 01-23-2010, 05:55 PM

Thanks for all of your help on this...I very much appreciate it very much.

:)
Old 01-23-2010, 07:05 PM

The clear film that you put on the underside of your ruler really helps a lot. i have carpel tunnel syndrome and found that my cutting improved very much once I started to use it. You can also get braces to wear on your hands while you cut. Mine have a metal bar down the inside (runs vertically across the palm of my hand)and they seem to help a lot. I also found that if I use a ruler that has a bar on it that kind of hooks over the edge of your cutting mat, it helps a lot. I use a blue rotary cutter (forget the brand name) that really is much easier to use than an Olfa. Another thing I found really helpful is to make sure that your blades are always sharp. It took me awhile to find out what worked for me, but once I did things got way better. Keep trying till you finds what works best for you.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:13 PM

You might want to try the Martelli Ergonomicv Rotary Cutter...it's kind of odd looking but it made a huge difference in my wrist when cutting fabric. I was used to the Olfa rotary cutter and there was a learning curve but I wouldn't trade now...the blades really hold up better also.