Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can I make this quilt better? >

How can I make this quilt better?

How can I make this quilt better?

Old 05-12-2016, 06:28 AM

Personally, I think it's lovely!

I have a collection of quilt photos in what I call my 'background' folder.

They are all , sometimes intricate designs, made of neutral fabrics, on which the quilter applied some sort of applique. If you don't like this as is, it would be perfect for a background' quilt.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:29 AM

Personally, I think it's lovely!

I have a collection of quilt photos in what I call my 'background' folder.

They are all , sometimes intricate designs, made of neutral fabrics, on which the quilter applied some sort of applique. If you don't like this as is, it would be perfect for a background' quilt.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I like your quilt too, but I can definitely understand where you are coming from. I made a quilt that I absolutely hated once it got to the stage yours is. It ended up languishing in my UFO pile for years, like over ten!! When I got my longarm I needed something to practice on and guess what got dug out of the UFO pile. I did like it a little better after quilting it. I still deemed it a WOMBAT (Waste of Money Batting and Time) but then my friend saw it and she absolutely loved it. I bound it up and happily gifted it to her. That quilt is pictured here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...rm-t77776.html

Moral of story, one man's trash is another man's treasure. If it pains you to keep it around as a UFO and you can't bring yourself to take the additional time, effort and $$ to quilt it then gift it to someone or sell it as a top on Ebay or ETSY or even here. You probably won't make what you have invested in fabric but it won't be a total loss. New longarmers will snap it up as a quilt to practice on. Or you can save it to practice FMQ on or if you someday get a longarm you can practice. The beauty of practicing on a quilt you abhor is you don't care if you ruin it!

Don't throw it out, there are many people who would love to have it even in its unfinished state.
Glad your friend like it, I love it too and I am sure she was thrilled with it.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:49 AM

Do you have any more of any of the print fabrics that are already in the quilt? You could use a narrow white border as someone else already suggested and use the print as an outer border.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:59 AM

If you don't like the white, why not try tea dying it to give it a beige tint?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:20 AM

OK, it is hideous, I'll take it off your hands!! LOL, just kidding, I love it. I much prefer soothing, calm quilts to those that "pop", popping is not conductive to sleep. Now what I would do and have done, is to take it to wherever you purchase fabric and just start auditioning fabrics for borders. I made my Cindy's Flutterby quilt from my very small stash. She wanted it "butterfly-ie", try and figure that one out. Anyway, I found some fabric that had butterfly's with a white background for the top and backing but was stuck for borders to make it a little bigger. Walked into the local shop, "35th and Northern" in Phoenix. And the fabric just jumped out at me. It was a fabric I NEVER would have bought but it was perfect for this quilt!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]549871[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]549872[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails cindy7s-quilt-front.jpg   cindy7s-quilt-front-close-up-hand-quilting-3.jpg  

Last edited by AZ Jane; 05-12-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:26 AM

I agree with a narrow white frame, but then I would do a couple of the darker color borders.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:28 AM

I like it! It's a nice change from the bright colors you often see. I think once you put borders on it and quilt it, you might actually like it. If not, you can always donate it as suggested.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

Don't throw it out, it's a nice quilt, just subdued, every so often we need a calm, soothing quilt, so no, don't toss it.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:16 PM

I love it. You could send it my way if you are tempted to throw it out.