Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to choose best color of thread? >

How to choose best color of thread?

How to choose best color of thread?

Old 08-31-2013, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Thread choices are dependent on so many variables, there is no one definitive answer. Do you want the quilting to blend in or stand out? Is the fabric so busy it really doesn't matter what you use the quilting won't really show? How confident are you in your quilting? Are you doing an end to end design with no back tracking, then you might want to consider a varigated. So much depends on what look you are trying to achieve and how much you want the quiting to show. When I quilted on my DSM, mostly straight lines (cross hatching and SID) I always chose a thread that blended with the front and used the same thread in my bobbin.

Now that I have a LA, like Dunster, I will mix and match bobbin thread color from top thread color depending on the circumstance, customer choice or what I think might look best. Dunster is dead on, your tension needs to be just right or you will get the dots of color Silver Needle mentioned (often referred to as pokies). Sometimes with the first washing the quilt relaxes enough that they disappear. Here is a prime example of matching and contrasting. I used matching thread in top and bobbin and went for matching the colors in the pieced top. The back was a solid black but the high contrast in quilting thread resulted in a spectacular finish
Front:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]433348[/ATTACH]

Back:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]433349[/ATTACH]

Here is an example of using a blending thread (light blue) and a contrasting thread (Navy) on the top because I wanted the giraffe to stand out. The light blue thread blends right in with the background and just adds texture. This matching option is also great for hiding mistakes or flubs. The bobbin thread I chose matches the back. As you an see my top thread was a navy and my back was white. When adjusting the tension you can balance without getting pokies
Top:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]433350[/ATTACH]

Back:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]433351[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc04199.jpg   dsc04211.jpg   dsc04305.jpg   dsc04301.jpg  
Old 08-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

I usually consider the front over the back. If it comes out nice back there, that's fine, but I like to have something that compliments the front, where I have done the most work.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:32 PM

feline: your quilt is nice and bright but that back is simplystunning. Took my breathaway.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:42 PM

Don't forget about clear threads. I like Sulky. When I do use the clear thread on top, then I match bobbin thread to the back of the quilt. My Babylock sews just fine with clear thread. My Juki 98 is a high speed straight stitch machine and no matter how I set the tension, it breaks the clear thread almost immediately. Oh well, it's a beautiful machine that makes an impressive straight stitch and is easy to use for free motion also plus being able to sew through thick layers and has a 9 inch throat - can you tell I love my Juki!

If you don't want your quilting to show on the back, a busy print is a good option for backing fabric. There are a lot of stores that have good prices on wide backing fabric in lots of neat prints.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

I try very hard to not have my inferior quilting show so I always try to blend the top and not worry about the back. I also try to select a backing fabric that is busy enough to hide imperfections in my quilting.

I am just not a great quilter.
peace
Old 08-31-2013, 08:04 PM

I can't tell you what I like to do because I'm only on my first project and I did not like what I did!! So I can tell you that. A friend suggested that I use clear thread on the top since there are several colors and this is my first attempt. This way my mistakes wouldn't show as much. Well I did as suggested and I hate it!! And I was too far into it by the time I realized I really didn't like it. I didn't take it out. I'm just chalking this up to a mistake learned from! Maybe I purchased the wrong type of clear thread but I got the only kind Joann's had and I felt like i was sewing with fishing line.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:16 PM

I'm not a great quilter either, but I'm a happy quilter, and to me, that's important. I bet you're a happy quilter, too! That being said ...

feline fanatic - Your brightly colored quilt is one of the prettiest I've ever seen. Front and back are absolutely awesome. I've never seen a back done like that, and it is simply stunning. Enter it in a show, and bring home ALL the ribbons!

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I try very hard to not have my inferior quilting show so I always try to blend the top and not worry about the back. I also try to select a backing fabric that is busy enough to hide imperfections in my quilting.

I am just not a great quilter.
peace
Old 09-01-2013, 03:11 AM
Reb

I really like King Tut varigated thread. I usually use that in the top and a bobbin that complements the main color on the back. That color is usually a shade that is also in the varigated. But I just bought a second bobbin case to be able to quilt with speciality threads in the bobbin. Then I won't have to change the tension in the original, factory set bobin case.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:30 AM
Reb

Originally Posted by amelia0607 View Post
I can't tell you what I like to do because I'm only on my first project and I did not like what I did!! So I can tell you that. A friend suggested that I use clear thread on the top since there are several colors and this is my first attempt. This way my mistakes wouldn't show as much. Well I did as suggested and I hate it!! And I was too far into it by the time I realized I really didn't like it. I didn't take it out. I'm just chalking this up to a mistake learned from! Maybe I purchased the wrong type of clear thread but I got the only kind Joann's had and I felt like i was sewing with fishing line.

There are definite differences in the quality of monofilament thread. Thickness counts. Harriet Hargave sells specialty mono size .004. She kind of wrote the book on machine quilting. If you have a LQS check what weights they carry. As I understand it mono is supposed to have come a long way and no longer has to feel like fishng line.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Reb View Post

There are definite differences in the quality of monofilament thread. Thickness counts. Harriet Hargave sells specialty mono size .004. She kind of wrote the book on machine quilting. If you have a LQS check what weights they carry. As I understand it mono is supposed to have come a long way and no longer has to feel like fishng line.
The first time I used clear thread it was nylon and I was so frustrated and in tears! But someone suggested I try the polyester thread and I was a happy quilter after that. The only one around here at the time was Sulky. Have not really quilted with clear thread for a while. Just been buy matching thread lately.